Any guesses as to what my chicks are?

dashuenchen

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
Got these chicks today from a local feed store. They are from a random assortment from Ideal. The two guys I spoke with in the store gave me conflicting answers on what breeds the chicks were, maybe you guys can help?

1 This one is supposedly a barred rock. I thought this one was the wyandotte.

2 I was told this one is a RIR, but also an EE. It is more of a chocolate color than red to me, and seems to have some darker stripes. The legs are a chocolate color also.

3 Pretty sure this is an EE.

4 This one is also supposed to be an EE.

5 Nobody knew what this one was. The feathers coming in look like they might be white.

6 Was told this one was a black laced silver wyandotte or a barred rock, but doesn't look like it a wyandotte to me. It has a dark comb and dark legs with light feet. I thought maybe Australorp?

Thanks for any help!

Since it is random special...they could be almost anything and a lot of chicks have similar patterns. I can say you don't have a Barred Rock or RIR in the bunch....and not likely to have an EE either as I don't see any beard/muff or green leg particularly (one might).

I'd have to see some combs to be certain....but I'll give my guesses below.

LL
May be your Silver Laced Wyandotte if rose comb (small horseshoe oriented with luck running down the beak)

LL
Looks more like a Barnevelder....definitely not a RIR nor likely EE...may possibly be a Partridge Rock

LL
May be your EE...does it have a slight beard/muff...and green legs? If not, see below

LL
Not seeing EE (no beard/muff)....*might* be a Silver Penciled Fayoumi (Ideal carries them)

LL
probably a White Rock, might be a White Leghorn or even a Buff Leghorn (Ideal carries an assortment of Leghorns)

LL
Not a Barred Rock. Could be an Australorp...but with that dark of face, I'm thinking Sumatra (Ideal carries those too)

My guesses
LofMc

Other hatcheries also offer 'rare ' assortments - however they generally turn out to be mostly popular(but common) chicken breeds.

Since it is random special...they could be almost anything and a lot of chicks have similar patterns. I can say you don't have a Barred Rock or RIR in the bunch....and not likely to have an EE either as I don't see any beard/muff or green leg particularly (one might). I'd have to see some combs to be certain....but I'll give my guesses below.
LL
May be your Silver Laced Wyandotte if rose comb (small horseshoe oriented with luck running down the beak)
LL
Looks more like a Barnevelder....definitely not a RIR nor likely EE...may possibly be a Partridge Rock
LL
May be your EE...does it have a slight beard/muff...and green legs? If not, see below
LL
Not seeing EE (no beard/muff)....*might* be a Silver Penciled Fayoumi (Ideal carries them)
LL
probably a White Rock, might be a White Leghorn or even a Buff Leghorn (Ideal carries an assortment of Leghorns)
LL
Not a Barred Rock. Could be an Australorp...but with that dark of face, I'm thinking Sumatra (Ideal carries those too) My guesses LofMc
Could picture 4 be a welsummer? Or is the facial coloring off for that...?

My guesses
LofMc

Awesome, thanks for the guesses! I tried to narrow down what they might be by checking out Ideal's site earlier, but I couldn't get the page to load.
I'll have to check it out in a little while and see if I can figure it out.

With the two supposed EE chicks, neither have particularly green legs, though the first one might have a bit of a tint. The don't seem to have the muffs that I've seen on previous EE chicks.

As for the first chick, here's the best picture I could get of the comb.

Time will tell with all of them, but I appreciate having some ideas as to what they could be.

I don't think it was necessarily even a rare assortment, so I wouldn't be surprised if they all turn out to be pretty common breeds. I'm admittedly a bit impatient when it comes to imagining them all grown up, though!
smile.png

Could picture 4 be a welsummer? Or is the facial coloring off for that...?

not a Welsummer...facial coloring wrong...Welsummer is a true chipmunk with clear head triangle, eye liner (especially girls), and stripe down back...not mottling around eyes with a lot of white...see one of my Welsummer hatches below.

LofMc

Last edited:
Chicks can completely change their color so at ur chicks age it really is hard to tell. Mine r 2&3 weeks old n I'm just getting them figured out. I ordered 142 babies. The first week it was mostly guess work now I'm getting a handle on them.

Back
Top Bottom