Any guesses on this breed? And sex?

Are there guidelines for how to quarantine a chicken, meaning is there an end to the quarantine? Can you ever tell that a chicken doesnt have a disease or parasites? Or are you suggesting that we permanently keep her away from the other chickens? If permanent, then I gues I might just put her back in the woods and figure a way to keep her from getting back in with my chickens, and let her just find her own way back home. Or is it more like, keep her separated for a week, if she doesnt die, then let her be with the other chickens. There is a pretty good amount of, woods between us and the other neighborhoods, I dont expect anyone is coming looking for her. Last year we heard some roosters coming from that area and egg laying calls, but havent heard that in a long while, I suspect whoever had this chicken set her loose and gave up on raising chickens, and she has been wandering through the woods for a while till she found our flock.
NatJ gave a great response. Quarantine is a temporary thing, where you keep the bird separated for a while and observe it for signs of illness, such as respiratory problems. It also gives you a chance to check her over for lice, mites and other external parasites, which can be treated on an individual bird more easily than if it spreads to the whole flock. It's really a precautionary measure, and it is all up to you and what you're comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom