Any hope for a feather picker?

HerbiLady

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Mid Michigan
Hoping someone can help me out with this chick...

I have 29 week-old chicks in a large brooder and one of the SS (which is actually smaller than anyone else!) is incessantly pecking at everyone else's feathers. I've not seen it rip out feathers or draw any blood and it's not going after blood-filled new shafts...it's picking at the downy feathers that are on the other birds' chests mostly.

But I did have one chick (BO) yesterday with a completely bare and bloodied tail. I feel like that chick may be doing some of that to itself and I've isolated it and have been treating it. I put it back in this morning with liberal blue-kote and some pine tar on it's butt and it doesn't seem to be as obssessed with its own tail as it was yesterday. The other chicks get a whiff of the pine tar and leave it alone but it's its own worst enemy.
hmm.png

I posted in the emergency forums about the BO injured chick but didn't get any answer yet...when I would try to put it back in with the other chicks with all the stuff on it, it would peck at itself and scream and cause the other chicks to get totally riled up. This morning it seems better and aside from it picking at itself the other chicks don't want much to do with it. I think the goo on its bum may have been making it torture itself but I'm not sure. It doesn't peck at anyone else. It doesn't want to eat much and freaks out when it's in isolation. It can see the other chicks but not get to them. I'm monitoring it this morning since I've put it back in. It did eat quite a bit of hard-boiled egg yesterday in isolation though.

Now I have the SS chick isolated. If I'm having trouble with pecking, I don't want that one starting anything. It's the only one doing this and it just seems obsessed. Could this be a bird that just won't quit this type of behavior even with added protein, plenty of room, things to do, etc? I hate to cull it but I don't want to deal with cannibalism either.
sad.png
I'd be happy to give it away but I don't want it screwing up someone else's flock either. Oh, and it only seems obsessed with the lighter colored chicks...LB and BO. I haven't noticed it doing it to the BR or SLW or other SS.

I was giving them treats and it may be that it was displacing too much of their protein. I've been giving them yogurt and some hard-boiled egg since yesterday and no more starchy treats. They were getting some cooked rice and a little oatmeal...small amounts and they loved it.

I also changed from the 20% protein Kent starter feed I started them on to an 18% Purina Sunfresh Starter and moved them into double-the-size quarters Saturday. They went from shredded paper bedding to pine shavings at that time as well. I changed the feed gradually but have been somewhat concerned about the lower protein. It seems like other folks like this feed but I dunno. They're sprouting new feathers like crazy!

They have a red light on most of the time and when it's really warm at night (I also have an electric heater in the room with them and can keep it pretty warm in there) I turn out all lights. They were stressed Friday during the day from a bit too much heat (it was 80 here!) and I lost one bird but the others are fine except for this. That sucked really bad and I'm still kicking myself for it. I knew better and didn't listen to my "gut" telling me to turn out the light for the day when I left for work. The heater wasn't on, btw, but still....

The SS has been doing this for awhile now...before any of these changes/stressors happened.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Thanks Imp...I've been reading about them and was hoping there was something else to do. They're definitely affordable but ACK! They look scary!

Do these fit small chicks up to larger birds? I can see where they would be a useful tool to have in the arsenal. How difficult are they to put on?

One one hand, I love the SS but they seem to be sort of aggressive compared to my other birds. They have always been the busiest chicks!

ETA: The picking SS doesn't seem to mind isolation one bit either! Cocky little thing
wink.png

ETA again: Would the bird have to wear the peeper for the rest of its life?

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree ACK!!!
lol.png
I do not know about using them, never have. I think you need a special tool to put them on, but I am not sure.

I had an aggressive BA chick once and it grew out of it. I liked my SS.

I think I read your other post late last night, but due to the lateness and Red Wine consumption I was on self imposed "Do not post".

It is generally recommended that birds with wounds should be kept seperate until completely healed.
I kinda think things will work themselves out. Keep a close eye on them.

Imp

Quote:
Ah, the Red Wine consumption...smart to curb the posting
wink.png
I don't drink anymore but I do remember what that can be like (hence I"ve been sober for four years!)

I like my SS too...they're pretty chicks and kind of charming albeit cocky and a bit more aggressive. They also seem way more stand-offish than the others. In spite of their smaller size, they are REALLY sturdy little birds! I'm thinking that maybe being separated from the other chicks for awhile will adjust the picker's attitude. And maybe a little extra protein. I hope that things will work themselves out as well. It's quite worrisome seeing the new blood-filled feathers coming in on the lighter birds. I don't think I like this part of the feathering out!
hmm.png

The BO with the sore butt isn't really bleeding and doesn't have open wounds/holes ...the area is raw and red so it's covered in blue-kote and the other chicks are interested somewhat but definitely do not like the pine tar. I've been checking every half an hour or so and it's doing well so far this morning. It's either put it in the brooder and monitor it during the day or let it languish and beat itself up in isolation. I'll take it out of the brooder at night or when I'm not home.

As far as the peepers go...I'm not sure if I want to go that route with a one-week old chick. If it were a good laying hen or a bird about ready for the table, I would probably do it but at this point, I don't know. These birds aren't pets (all but 8 or ten hens and a roo are destined for the table) although I do enjoy them and am doing my best to do everything I can to solve the problem, short of the peepers. I care about them and what happens to them and am happy to intervene but at some point I feel like I need to protect my investment of the 28 other birds. Perhaps the changes/stress/extra treats contributed and more protein and some isolation will help.

I would happily give it away so if anyone is here in Mid Michigan and wants an annoying, weird (but pretty!!) little SS chick, let me know!
smile.png

I had a SLW that was a "wild child" attacking the other chicks until one nearly died. The only advice I got on the forum was to "cull" her which I just couldn't do. I raised her separately for a month then slowly reintroduced her to the others. When they were all put into the coop and run she was back with her mates full time. She if fine now as an adult. Probably at the top of the pecking order but not "mean" like she was as a pullet. I wish you the best, it is hard to watch!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks CambriaGardener...I appreciate the response! It really is hard to watch and it's frustrating!!

I don't have a problem isolating this one for awhile but I'm also seeing that it might not just be THIS SS chick, although this one is by far the worst for it. Other SS chicks seem to be doing it now too ... just picking at downy chest feathers and no one is bleeding or anything at this point or even being plucked bare yet. They do seem to want to swallow whatever it is they might be picking out though. Ugh!

I posted to the breeds forum to see if this is maybe normal behavior for SS or if they need more protein or something than other breeds. I can certainly brood the SS separately if need be. They don't do it to one another...they seem to prefer to beat up the BO chicks or the Light Brahmas, but not the BR or SLW. Could be that the lighter chicks I have are also the mellowist/least likely to fight back. I know the BR's don't take any guff from anyone else... lol!

I had a serious problem with Cannebilism this winter. They were literally eating each other to death..I started with 25 birds and lost a total of 10 ( they pecked a small hole in the and would proceed to eat each other this way.) I was able to save 3 of mine hens that I caught intime and kept in isolation. They would sometimes peck the back ( between the bones and eat there or sometimes on my cochin would peck at their bottoms and eat them there.)

IT was very frustrating as I tried EVERYTHING you have tried. different food, different treats.. different bedding, different lighting, blue kote, pine tar and hot pick- UGH. (nothing worked)

FINALLY out of desperation I had to file their beaks back. I know this in controversal and I wouldn't recommend it unless it was a last resort.(you can see it was a last resort as losing 10 I wouldn't have had any birds left at all) I don't like calling it "debeaking" because it really isn't and I didn't take off very much of their beak. I just used a dremel and filed back the top of their beaks until is was dull and round shaped and no longer sharp and able to puncture skin.
This at last did the trick

The 15 remaining birds have been fine now for almost 3 months ( Knock on wood) They still free range all day and I haven't seen them peck at each other at all ( again, knock on wood) don't want to jinks myself. A few of them are still missing feathers I dont' imagine they will come back until they molt.

Good luck! I hope you can get her to stop.

I think it's a good idea to stop diluting the protein content of their diet with extra starches, especially with the switch to a lower protein food. Hopefully the egg will help. Inadequate protein can definitely be a problem. I hope everything you're now doing will help stop the problem.

Are you using a red or white bulb on them? What size is their brooder now? White lights or not enough space can also make them fuss with each other more, as can being too hot and uncomfortable.

Quote:
That would be horrid!! I'm so sorry you had to deal with something like that. I probably would have gotten so crazed by that they would have all been in the freezer!

I've now removed two SS from the brooder into a bird cage that sits on top of the big brooder and will see how it goes. I may just have to set up another brooder and keep taking out the pluckers. They can eat each other and leave the poor little BO's alone!
somad.gif
It sucks...they are gorgeous little things and they are sooo curious. They really just peck at everything, not just other birds.

Thankfully they aren't eating flesh, just downy feathers and not in such a way as to make anyone bald or bleed but the one BO chick definitely got attacked yesterday and I'm sure it probably started that way unless that bird was self-mutilating. Blood thirsty little dinosaurs!!

Back
Top Bottom