Any hope for these poor eggs?

I'm worried about the humidity level... I have a sponge and a small bowl of water in there with them. Any tips on how to tell if it's too high or low?

Do you have a home weather thermometer with humidity? If not, they can be bought for under $10. Given the circumstances, accuracy isn't essential. But if you keep wet towels or sponges around the outside, not touching the eggs, that should be enough.

So last nigt went okay.... The eggs are still by the heat lamp and maintained 100 throughout the night. However this morning, when I rewet the sponge the temp shot up to 105. Unfortunately I have to go to work today so I've decided to put them in the bator. I had it running as well but I can't get the dang humidity under control! It's at 80 this morning. I'm going to leave out the front plug in hopes this controls the humidity a little better. So at this stage, (19 days today) is more or less humidity better?

More, but you don't want condensation. IMO, it's like trying to keep a car between the ditches when you have faulty steering. (trying to maintain humidity and temp in an incubator that is hard to manage)

So Im at work worried sick.. #1 am I burning my chicks up and #2 am I burning my house down. I left the eggs under the heat lamp, not the incubator. That thing scares me. So do think it would be okay if I brought the eggs with me to work at lunchtime if i have them under the lamp? It doesnt take as long to get the temp regulated.....

Try using a smaller light bulb, a normal 100 watt should do the trick if placed in the right spot.

The point is that it's better not to disturb the eggs any more than you have to at this stage. Do what you need to do, you are their only chance at life now. But if you can get a steady temp of around 100 with a light bulb, it would be better for your clutch.

Last edited:
I hope this is not a stupid question, but is it okay to put the 100 watt bulb in the heat lamp? Its hung so perfectly.... or is that a fire hazard?

In the brooder hood? Yes, absolutely, a smaller incandescent bulb is perfectly safe in a metal heat lamp hood. I don't know the wattage of your heat lamp you are replacing, but you will probably need to lower the 100w bulb to about 2 feet above the eggs.

Ok I came home and replaced the bulb... I feel like I can breathe a little easier now. It's not nearly as hot. I'm sticking around to see how the temp is, then I'll head back into work. Uugghh! I don't know how anyone does this for 21 days! It's day two for me and I feel like all my hair has turned white! I'm gonna try to post a pic of my setup maybe you can tell me if my sponge is too big.....

Back
Top Bottom