Any Idea? Hen can't walk

chilman

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Tuesday I made a post about my chicken who jumped out of her coop and afterwards could not walk. I have been trying to nurse her back to health. She has no visible injuries, no lice, no mites or other critters. She has a clean vent, no bulging stomach, clean eyes, no drainage from eyes or nose. No throwing up. I have poked and prodded on her stomach. Pulled on her wings and spread them out with no reaction from her. I have worked her legs, played with her toes and no response from her. She has learned to balance herself by spreading her wings and sitting on her elbows. However, when you first put her down she flaps her wings and moves backwards. It looks like she is favoring her right foot.

Here is a video of her when we put her down. Don't worry, the dog does not have access to her. He was checking things out. Looking for some advice!

I would suspect jarring head injury/trauma from the jumping down. Going backwards can be neurological, sometimes associated with injury. Marek's is possible, usually it's commonly seen at age 12-25wks, but can present at any age given the right conditions.

Offer her wet feed and poultry vitamins, make sure she is drinking well. If there is no improvement in a few days, seek vet care to see if they can provide care.

Keep us posted.

https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/diseases-common-to-silkies/

I would suspect jarring head injury/trauma from the jumping down. Going backwards can be neurological, sometimes associated with injury. Marek's is possible, usually it's commonly seen at age 12-25wks, but can present at any age given the right conditions.

Offer her wet feed and poultry vitamins, make sure she is drinking well. If there is no improvement in a few days, seek vet care to see if they can provide care.

Keep us posted.

https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/diseases-common-to-silkies/
Thanks just read up on mareks. Doesn't seem to have the symptoms but not saying she doesn't have it. Feet aren't reversed. Is alert, moves around (scoots), bright eyed, happiest when in my lap and giving her water. Ate egg shells today. Nibbles at her other foods. Something with right foot since she tries to stay off of it.

Thanks just read up on mareks. Doesn't seem to have the symptoms but not saying she doesn't have it. Feet aren't reversed. Is alert, moves around (scoots), bright eyed, happiest when in my lap and giving her water. Ate egg shells today. Nibbles at her other foods. Something with right foot since she tries to stay off of it.

At the end of the article I linked you to also talks about water on the brain. Head injury can look similar to this. Months ago, don't have the thread now, but someone had chicks dying left and right - chicks were either Silkie or Polish - some breed with vaulted skulls - one chick had fell - began to have trouble walking - going backwards, it died, another was slightly pecked - started going backwards, it died - she had them with large breed chicks - they were being pecked which caused head trauma - she had 2 more - separated them - gave WET FEED and vitamins - 3days later chicks recovering nicely - a week later were good to go.

That moving backwards ---A bird that suddenly shows symptoms like yours we think Marek's or neurological/head trauma - since she jumped - could have caused the brain to bounce causing some swelling or water on the brain.

Just my thoughts:)

Back
Top Bottom