Any idea what I can do to help this little guy along?

Back2MyRoots

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Auburn, Alabama

These chicks are the same age and supposedly the same breed, RIR. They are now 9 days old. All the other chickes have doubled in size in the last week, but the little guy hasn't grown much at all. He is feathering in pretty well. He eats and drinks and poops and plays just like the others. What could be going on? Anything I can do to help him out?

No, actually, it's hopelessly cute. Though I am scared to death of it dieing. I am so tender-hearted....too much so, I'm sure. I just started keeping chickens a few months back. Losing one to an illness (or predator) scares the begeezies out of me. I know that sounds stupid. I just want to make sure it's just him being small, not something very wrong.

Mine grew at different rates and are all the same breed. Some would lag behind then have a growth spurt and catch up and pass the others.

It is odd. Did yours seem to be......fuzzier......for lack of a better word? Our little guy seems to have longer down feathers. It was a bit of a problem at first because his poop stuck in his feather a bit. But I just trimmed around his vent a tad and solved the problem. He is super fuzzy compared to the other chickies. He is colored the same, he just seems so different.

Back
Top Bottom