Any ideas on breed of these rescue ducks?

katlovesaandw

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Oregon
Hubby saw ad on CL.
These 2 ducks were in deplorable conditions.
We went to adopt them and save their butts.
We have Muscovies at home and a Cayuga in the past.
When we got there, they were in deplorable conditions. I won't even describe here because I am so angry.
They are supposed to be 2 mo. old. They are small.
They played and bathed in my tub and are now drying in my home until. They will need more baths to get 100% clean but I watched them bath and play and know they are hungry.
I thought Ancona or Magpie from the CL pics.
They do have pale yellowish legs and feet and pale bills.
No carnucles developing and markings do not remind me of any Muscovy but the ones I have seen in person were older.....
They are freaking sweet. Let me get them out of crate and put in tub, one LOVES the hand held shower and just was so happy to be getting clean.
So.... any ideas on their breed?
And depending on that answer.... ways to tell male from female? They are both same size right now and we were told 2 mo. old but the guy was a putz so who knows.....
And these photos are NOT from our place. This was from the CL ad. We just got them home at 6pm tonight, bathed them and now they are drying and grooming in a clean crate.

Hubby saw ad on CL.
These 2 ducks were in deplorable conditions.
We went to adopt them and save their butts.
We have Muscovies at home and a Cayuga in the past.
When we got there, they were in deplorable conditions. I won't even describe here because I am so angry.
They are supposed to be 2 mo. old. They are small.
They played and bathed in my tub and are now drying in my home until. They will need more baths to get 100% clean but I watched them bath and play and know they are hungry.
I thought Ancona or Magpie from the CL pics.
They do have pale yellowish legs and feet and pale bills.
No carnucles developing and markings do not remind me of any Muscovy but the ones I have seen in person were older.....
They are freaking sweet. Let me get them out of crate and put in tub, one LOVES the hand held shower and just was so happy to be getting clean.
So.... any ideas on their breed?
And depending on that answer.... ways to tell male from female? They are both same size right now and we were told 2 mo. old but the guy was a putz so who knows.....
And these photos are NOT from our place. This was from the CL ad. We just got them home at 6pm tonight, bathed them and now they are drying and grooming in a clean crate.

See pointy bean tip on bill I say Muscovy, and too young to have carnucles yet. Bless you for rescuing them from such horrid conditions.

SWEET! I do think they may be crossed with something as 1 has white chest but other..... once clean and in the sunlight this morning, has ripples in black and brown on chest. I know you can get ripples in Muscovies as we had a grey and white one with those....
Their bills do look like our other Muscovies, I was looking at that this morning.
We have just never had young Muscovies, always been 9-10 months when we got them. These guys are supposedly 2 months..... And only noise they are making is peeps so ???
They both came out, looking somewhat better! There is warm mash and fresh warm water for them this morning. Still clumps of poop and dirt hanging on their undersides but vents are clear and poops looked good despite where they were living. I figure they will clean the rest themselves.
Thanks Miss Lydia for letting me know!!! You rock!

I do think, now that Miss Lydia pointed it out that they are indeed young Muscovies!
I am thinking that the feather loss on their face is more for carnucles than neglect or some of both.
Guess we will have a better idea in the next month or so.
This article has a male at 14 weeks just starting his.... and the last picture, where he is dressed up for Halloween.... his chest ripples look almost identical to ours.
Now, to hope we have both females......
http://ducksandclucks.com/blog/2013/01/04/all-about-caruncles/

SWEET! I do think they may be crossed with something as 1 has white chest but other..... once clean and in the sunlight this morning, has ripples in black and brown on chest. I know you can get ripples in Muscovies as we had a grey and white one with those....
Their bills do look like our other Muscovies, I was looking at that this morning.
We have just never had young Muscovies, always been 9-10 months when we got them. These guys are supposedly 2 months..... And only noise they are making is peeps so ???
They both came out, looking somewhat better! There is warm mash and fresh warm water for them this morning. Still clumps of poop and dirt hanging on their undersides but vents are clear and poops looked good despite where they were living. I figure they will clean the rest themselves.
Thanks Miss Lydia for letting me know!!! You rock!
keep us updated on their progress, and what is so nice and interesting about Scovy's is all the Wide range of colors they come in, and your going to be amazed at how much your 2 new ones change over the next few months so keep posting pics so we can watch too.
smile.png

I definitely will! Love our Muscovies and have a black and white hen, a lavender and white hen, and a chocolate hen. We have had a grey/white or lav./white ripple in past and lost her to her love of eating rocks. GRRRR And we had a 2nd chocolate but she was MEGA B--ch and was mean to our other girls, so we rehomed her.
Nice to know we already have set-up for this breed!!
I will get better pictures of them today in the sunshine and post them. Amazing what a bath or 3 will do!!

I definitely will! Love our Muscovies and have a black and white hen, a lavender and white hen, and a chocolate hen. We have had a grey/white or lav./white ripple in past and lost her to her love of eating rocks. GRRRR And we had a 2nd chocolate but she was MEGA B--ch and was mean to our other girls, so we rehomed her.
Nice to know we already have set-up for this breed!!
I will get better pictures of them today in the sunshine and post them. Amazing what a bath or 3 will do!!
There is also a Muscovy lovers thread so please come and post pics of all your Scovy's We enjoy so much seeing others birds and talking about our Scovy's I bet those babies think they have died and gone to heaven having someone taking such good care of them.

Ok, here are pics I just took!
Any ideas on sex?
After comparing them in sun to our older Muscovies..... I am 100% sure they are young Muscovies.
We had no idea they had this much white on them when we started bathing them, nor the chocolate and black ripples on the one in 2nd picture on right side.

Wow, they look so differrent. Well done you
wee.gif
Thanks! I didnt see where they were kept, hubby went with guy and got them. Therefore I didnt see them until we got home and I took them out of crate to put in tub. Their entire underside was dirt/poop clumps like when long hair dogs play in the snow and come in with those little snowballs all over them. Except it wasn't snow.... it was clumps the size of a big Loogy marble down to the size of a pea of nasty smelling whatever.
I was really pleased to see them now. It looks like they have removed or more fell off of the stuff. I got a bunch off last night but still had some that they would either have to groom themselves or bath another time. I didnt want to overstress them last night. Felt like 3 bathes was enough.....though they enjoyed every minute of the bath. I think they were just enjoying being outside in fresh air and on grass, not filth.
Still tempted to turn the original owner into animal control for animal neglect.

Back
Top Bottom