Any ideas on breed or gender?

If you can keep a rooster and this one's temperment stays in check for you, you wont regret keeping him. Roosters add SO much fun and character to a flock. It's like my "Chicken Days of our Lives" everyday. Does he or she already seem to be leading the other chicks? Looking back on my own flock it didn't take long for the brood's cockerel to start being the first in line for worms or other such treats. Leading others in their short free ranges in my flower garden when they were young.... The boys had bigger feet as they grew, feathered a little slower, stood upright a little more, females backs were more horizontal...

I'd say this bird will be a "blue" variety of breed. And not black. IMO. Oh wouldn't it be lovely to have a blue australorp?! ***jealous***
love.gif

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how he or she turns out! It's fun to make guesses :) It has definitely gotten more of a personality. It runs super fast when I try to pick it up! I used to not want a rooster at all (after having a bad experience), but we decided to try and keep one as long as it's nice. I heard too many nice things about them to not want to try keeping one.

Roosters can be "judgement calls" that you have to make once they've matured. You'll have to determine as you go what you'll tolerate and what you won't. Everybody has their own level there as you'll read in the "I culled my once nice, now mean Rooster" sorts of threads. I think the main thing though is finding your balance. Understanding and respecting him as a chicken, some can be friends--but you're usually best striking your peace with him and leaving him as a chicken
wink.png
, as they usually take their job seriously protecting the girls, but they should also respect you as their caregiver. You might have a tiff or two with him while he's young... but sometimes you stand back after your initial angry reaction and realize why he did what he did and you learn a bit about him too. Then there's those that are predators and hard on the Hens, and incessantly confrontational with you...those are the no good kinds and things are pretty cut and dry there. If he's nice though, you'll find your balance and a chicken story about him everyday to be sure.

Here we are dreaming about the little fella and we aren't even sure she's a he or vice versa!

Everyone should have a good rooster at least once :) our Dominique rooster is sweeter than our hens if you ask me! The hens are fussy and selfish, but hey.. They're our girls! :) I can't wait to see this little one even he/she is older!

Back
Top Bottom