Any ideas on how to keep squirrels off our fence?

huf

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Silicon Valley
We have way too many squirrels coming into our yard running long the top of our fences, using them to get into the yard, running along the fence tops and driving our dog crazy. Any ideas on a humane treatment to the top of the fence that might deter squirrels from landing or running on them? One that won’t be too noticeable?

That would help keep our dog calmer (good thing for the chickens stress levels), our yard nicer and hopefully keep them out of the chicken feeders.

Thanks!
Jeannie.

You could try greasing the fencetops or something else to make it slippery for the squirrels - just depends on your type of fencing. Some people have used PVC pipe that is free to rotate (so the squirrels roll off) as well. But truthfully, squirrels are professionals when it comes to figuring out how to get around such "deterrants". Maybe some plastic owls or hawks along the fence? Good luck.

I have yet to see anything deter squirrels short of killing them or trapping and relocating. I watched one crawl up a metal down spout, so I doubt there's anything you can put on your fence to keep them off.

these are the same squirrels that can navigate on and off high voltage power lines without being fried (usually. I did see it once). I doubt a little 110 volt is going to bother them much! They just jump over it.

You have to run the wire along the top of the fence. The wire is too fine for them to run on, so when a foot has to be used for retaining balance . . . ZAP . . . . and the squirrel flies off of the fence.

Squirrels are smart, one time is usually enough!

Back
Top Bottom