Any ideas

Beamedik

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
homing for local animal control.....believe it's a roo, confirmation....and breed, or is it a mutt....was just walking down the street, minding his own business...

I'm not a pro, but nothing is screaming rooster to me yet. We may need a better side view of him/her standing upright, so we can see posture, tail and hackle feathers. For the moment I think it's a hen. The black feet are throwing me, but might be black australorp, gersey giant or a mix. Are the bottoms of the feet the same dark color, pink or a yellow color? That would help too.

Definitely a rooster.

For my own edification, why do you say this? I can't see the tail feathers very well, and that's one of the big one's for me. The feathering is also short, and the comb and wattles are about the same as on an adult laying hen. Not criticizing at all, just honestly trying to understand.
smile.png

For my own edification, why do you say this? I can't see the tail feathers very well, and that's one of the big one's for me. The feathering is also short, and the comb and wattles are about the same as on an adult laying hen. Not criticizing at all, just honestly trying to understand.
smile.png
It's a little tough to make out through the fence, but I can see definite male saddle and hackle feathers on him in this photo.

Thanks for the feedback, now that I zoom in better I think I see where you're coming from. Lol, it might have been a whole lot easier if it wasn't all black!

I was thinking austorlorp also because of the sheen in the feathers. My brother in law is in charge of animal control so unclaimed chickens come our way....that's why the pics r a little hard to see, good enough to make out if it's urs....
It's a little odd how many chickens at large there are. His town is a distance second to where I work. I often have friends posting pictures of a roo and 2-3 hens just randomly walking down the sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom