Any issues having ducks and chickens live together?

My suggestion is get rid of the retarded chickens that tear up everything cause they like being dusty. They are susceptible to birds of prey since they don't keep an eye out like ducks and you can't train them. They areally picky layers...you know is the wind blowing just right so I can lay an egg...a change in pecking order sometimes turns bloody! Sorry for the rant...once I had chickens got my senses about bo7ght ducks and never looked back.

In short keep the ducks away from the dumb and I mean dumb chickens! DUCKS RULE!
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f609.png

My first time as a poultry owner I had a half-dozen Dominique chickens and a pair of ducks. Most of the chickens turned out to be roosters- I gave most away and processed the last 2. First bad decision. Keep one rooster (unless you're in town and cannot.) They are meant to protect the flock and do their job well. Second bad decision - A drake duck will indeed try to breed your hens UNLESS you have 5-6 female ducks for him. My drake eventually killed my favorite Cochin hen. This makes for a very guilty and stupid-feeling poultry owner. Now I check this site for answers to all of my questions. The Learning Center is especially good.
I'm starting over this week. Our broody bantam Cochin is hatching right now and I am getting ducklings in a few days! They are all so much fun.

I have my 4 3 day old female chickens in the same brooder as my 4 3 day old ducks. But the ducks are straight run. So far they are all getting along great and are kept in my back room in a big 4x4 brooder so it's plenty dry. Everything is going good. When the ducks get a big bigger I'm going to move the chickens into another brooder the same size right along side the duck one. Once they can go outside they will go into a 20x20 run and a 6x7 coop with a big oerch and nesting boxes. Plan on having the food and water outside so the coop doesn't get wet. Hope I'm doing everything right

Back
Top Bottom