Any one else like guniea pigs?

Rollerman

Chirping
8 Years
May 18, 2011
I lucked out and got four new guniea pigs free off of craigslist tonight. Two at a time from different places! Seems like the night to give them away. All week they have had some listed for "rehoming" with fees of $25-100 . I have to pass on those!These four are all males. I have six females so I am needing a male. I'll rehome the extras if decide I don't want them. But they are really easy to care for at this time of year. They love to eat grss and watermelon and carrots. Really cuts down on the pellet feed. AI'll try and post pics tomorrow.

I love whistlers!

It's been years since I raised them but when my kids were younger their friends' parents always knew what house was open to care for them while the families vacationed for weeks at a time. Loved it.
big_smile.png

Haha, love the rehoming fees. 100 bucks?
lol.png

Guinea pigs are great. I had a tri-roan teddy I just loved to death. He'd always sleep under my chin when I was a kid, and he lived through a really tough move with me. He died when I was in high school of a brain tumor, and it broke my heart. I haven't gotten one since, I just haven't seen a guinea pig that can compare. Did 4H with him, but people look at you weird if you talk about showing guinea pigs. XD

Love the noises they make and their sweet or spunky attitudes.

I'm curious why you say you need a male? I'm hoping you know, but just to make sure anyone else reading this thread knows - guinea pigs must be bred before 6 months of age or their pelvis closes and birth becomes impossible. If bred after that age, they and the babies will die a pretty horrible painful death. Personality wise, I haven't seen any difference between males and females, so your comment confused me
hu.gif

Good luck and enjoy them
smile.png

we have Hammie.. well, my daughter does. I squeels and oinks and binkies around all over the place.
He may be getting a friend soon, another male named Cosmo. A co-worker's sister is giving him away. My co-worker is going to try him out this weekend. If she doesn't want him, he will come home with me on Monday.

DH just sighs and shakes his head lol

I have 2.Are you going to breed yours? I have read about the pelvic area being less flexible in the unbred girls,but not everyone has had that problem.You will have to be ready though for complcations regardless of the ages! Best wishes.

Yes I am aware of the pelvic problem,I only breed females that are young enough or older females if I know they have had babys before. I have had three sows have babys since I started this post. Two had two each and the third had three this morning but one died at birth. I was really worried about loosing the mother because of the heat,but she did alright except for loosing the one. The babys grow so fast! I will try and get pics tomorrow.
Mine have been enjoying our love of watermellon! They get all the rinds! They really like them.

I have five right now, one passed about a month ago. I have three girls and two boys. I love them, they are funny little animals. Very demanding when they want something.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom