Any Pics or Ideas on a Stone/Brick Built Chicken house?

MelissaCoupas

Chirping
Feb 19, 2022
Hi Everyone

We are looking to move to a hot off-grid area where we can raise chickens again. Considering building a stone chicken house as with a tin roof as it would be cooler & more predator safe. The area we are looking at has bears. It snows every so often but we can add a heater if that is a concern but generally chickens can do okay in snow.

If any of you have done this and have pics or experiences to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Everyone

We are looking to move to a hot off-grid area where we can raise chickens again. Considering building a stone chicken house as with a tin roof as it would be cooler & more predator safe. The area we are looking at has bears. It snows every so often but we can add a heater if that is a concern but generally chickens can do okay in snow.

If any of you have done this and have pics or experiences to share, I would greatly appreciate it.
I didn't go look but you could peruse through the coop articles and see if you see any interesting ones.

We have bear, et al here too. We purchased an Amish garden shed and built a coop inside on one end. The bear come but don't bother trying as they couldn't get into it. So, they go for our wild bird feeders instead. :(

I did not build the coop from masonry, but my coop DOES have a cinder block foundation. I used Quickwall surface bonding cement to hold it all together. it is stronger than typical masonry construction, easier if you ask me, and it's waterproof. One piece I would add is that you'll have better results with new, clean cinder blocks compared to using old ones the way I did, but it still worked.

Here's the thread and I think around page 3-6 is the foundation with pictures. I would practice with a little bit of joint compound or plaster on a piece of scrap plywood/osb/etc before you mix up an expensive bag of cement.

I did not build the coop from masonry, but my coop DOES have a cinder block foundation. I used Quickwall surface bonding cement to hold it all together. it is stronger than typical masonry construction, easier if you ask me, and it's waterproof. One piece I would add is that you'll have better results with new, clean cinder blocks compared to using old ones the way I did, but it still worked.

Here's the thread and I think around page 3-6 is the foundation with pictures. I would practice with a little bit of joint compound or plaster on a piece of scrap plywood/osb/etc before you mix up an expensive bag of cement.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom