Extra run

Yimmij

Hatching
Jan 16, 2024
Have 4x8 coop with 8x8 run (half under coop)
Want to make another run out of chicken wire for a “free range” area but still control where they can go ( and keep out of neighbors gardens)
Use metal posts and 4 to 6’wire or something like that omlet fencing
Probably only use primarily when outside cutting grass etc since would be less predator proof than the coop/run with the hardware cloth
Any advice is appreciated

Not sure what type of advice you are looking for...but, will say that the chickens will appreciate the additional space. If you are willing to accept the risk of non-predator proof materials, then build it. Not much of our setup would be considered predator proof by most people. But our main predator is bears. We are willing to accept the risk of building our second run out of chicken wire.

Not sure what type of advice you are looking for...but, will say that the chickens will appreciate the additional space. If you are willing to accept the risk of non-predator proof materials, then build it. Not much of our setup would be considered predator proof by most people. But our main predator is bears. We are willing to accept the risk of building our second run out of chicken wire.
Thanks, that was pretty much what i was thinking - accept risk. Just wanted see what others thought. Raccoon, weasels fox, chicken hawks are probably worst here some coyotes, skunk,opossum

My favorite is electric poultry netting. www.premier1supplies.com It is portable, you put the posts in, then pick them up when you want to mow or give the chickens a different area to forage in. It keeps a single area from getting destroyed by the chickens and allows the plants to recuperate.
Thanks i’ll check it out; i see some Omlet brand fencing i need to check out too

Thanks, that was pretty much what i was thinking - accept risk. Just wanted see what others thought. Raccoon, weasels fox, chicken hawks are probably worst here some coyotes, skunk,opossum
I have eagles, coyotes and racoons predominantly as predators. I let them free range, and fence them off from the area by the house I don't want them in. Their wings are not clipped, so they fly over the 4' at least once a day. All it takes is Pedro the alpha to make the leap, and all of a sudden you hear the sound of wings fluttering madly as the flock flies over in unison, with Pedro crowing his song of victory! Then the games begin as I heard them all back.:wee
If you can do 6', you've got a better chance, but my cockerel likes to show off by flying up to the top of the 6' fence and perch on the frame to watch over "his" dominion!

If you can do 6', you've got a better chance, but my cockerel likes to show off by flying up to the top of the 6' fence and perch on the frame to watch over "his" dominion!
If your fencing is permanent, you can run a wire 8 to 10" above the top of the fence, but away from the fence into the yard. When the rooster makes his dash for freedom he will be stopped by the wire.

Back
Top Bottom