Extra run for free ranging during the day

Layniep3

Chirping
May 10, 2020
I want to build an extra play area for my chickens to free range that connects to their predator proof run/coop. It would need to have some sort of chicken wire ceiling to keep out a hawk that won't leave them alone. I considered buying an enclosed run from Amazon but the reviews aren't very positive for any of them. Plus, I figured I could make a much larger enclosure if I build it myself. Any suggestions?

Im in the same situation and my coop and run are on a steep hill which complicates things. Im wondering if I should add on to the run or build an adjacent run. I have considered electric netting but would like to have something more permanent. The idea of a cattle panel tractor seems appealing to me but i don't think it would be able to use on my hill.

It would need to have some sort of chicken wire ceiling to keep out a hawk that won't leave them alone.
I use a 2" knotted netting to topmost of my enclosers/pens, works well for me but there are a few steps you need to do if you're in heavy snow area. Pic for example.
IMG_0063.JPG

I use a 2" knotted netting to topmost of my enclosers/pens, works well for me but there are a few steps you need to do if you're in heavy snow area. Pic for example.View attachment 3745858
This is exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to implement a human door. I plan on creating a connecting tunnel that connects their enclosed run to the new "play yard." What kind of netting did you use for the top and where did you get it?

Back
Top Bottom