Attaching roofing to a metal run

SaraDoolittle

Hatching
Apr 16, 2024
Hello all!
First post here, and brand new chicken owner, so please be kind ☺️
Our 5 chicks are right at a month old and ready to get outside. I've got a small prefab coop (while we work on something larger in the next month or so) inside of a metal run. And yes, the run is one of those cheaply made metal ones that you buy and put together yourself, and it has been wrapped in chicken wire along with hardware cloth (painted black).

So, here's my quandary... I am looking for something other than the cheap tarp for roofing until we finish building our full size run. I'd like to put corrugated roof panels on it, but have no idea how I'd attach them.

Has anyone dealt with something similar, and how did you make it work, at least for a temporary solution?
Attached is a picture of what it currently looks like (yes I know, the run is waaay too small), and also one from the manufacturer of the run.

It's definitely been a learning curve, so thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• media-1713298169133-Apr_16_2024_1_56_PM.jpg
    media-1713298169133-Apr_16_2024_1_56_PM.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240411-102742.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411-102742.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 14
Where do you live? Climate matters, and can change the advice. You can add your location to your profile, and then it's always there. For instance, if you get a lot of snow, you need to take that into account; the roof has to be able to support the weight.

How wide is the span between the metal tubes that form the run? How tall is the peak?
and it has been wrapped in chicken wire along with hardware cloth (painted black)
Good for you, using the hardware cloth. Yes, it's pricey, but it keeps the predators out!

And,
:welcome

Where do you live? Climate matters, and can change the advice. You can add your location to your profile, and then it's always there. For instance, if you get a lot of snow, you need to take that into account; the roof has to be able to support the weight.

How wide is the span between the metal tubes that form the run? How tall is the peak?

Good for you, using the hardware cloth. Yes, it's pricey, but it keeps the predators out!

And,
:welcome
Thanks, I will add it to my profile.
I am in North Alabama, so it gets pretty hot and humid for sure.
The top of the peak down to the side is 68" on each side. The short end length is 6ft 6", and the height/peak is also 6'6".

So whatever you put on the roof has to span 6 and a half feet? That's pretty far between supports for a roof.

I show you what I have and maybe you can get some ideas that will work for you.

I have a metal frame that was a green house for my run. It's in two different sections, and they don't match at all, but they were free.

Here's a picture of one part.
IMG_6050.JPG

The distance between the vertical poles is 4 feet. The roof has supports every 2 feet. I have chicken wire over the frame, and then a heavy duty tarp over that, tied down with zip ties and bungee cords.

I'm in Michigan, and we get snow. The chicken wire supports the tarp over the 2 foot span. I broom off any snow we get; that's part of morning opening up the coop in the winter. That tarp has been through 3 winters so far.

The other half of the run has a polycarbonate roof, the stuff used for green houses, only it's not clear. (It would be a rotisserie in there if it were.)
IMG_6052.JPG

The purlins (the horizontal pieces) are slats from a pallet, zip tied to the metal poles that form the frame. The polycarbonate is screwed to the purlins with special screws that have a washer attached to them so that they don't leak. You can see the screws sticking through; the chickens won't be anywhere near the points, so I didn't worry about them. I have to be careful, though.

So whatever you put on the roof has to span 6 and a half feet? That's pretty far between supports for a roof.

I show you what I have and maybe you can get some ideas that will work for you.

I have a metal frame that was a green house for my run. It's in two different sections, and they don't match at all, but they were free.

Here's a picture of one part.
View attachment 3803308
The distance between the vertical poles is 4 feet. The roof has supports every 2 feet. I have chicken wire over the frame, and then a heavy duty tarp over that, tied down with zip ties and bungee cords.

I'm in Michigan, and we get snow. The chicken wire supports the tarp over the 2 foot span. I broom off any snow we get; that's part of morning opening up the coop in the winter. That tarp has been through 3 winters so far.

The other half of the run has a polycarbonate roof, the stuff used for green houses, only it's not clear. (It would be a rotisserie in there if it were.)
View attachment 3803320
The purlins (the horizontal pieces) are slats from a pallet, zip tied to the metal poles that form the frame. The polycarbonate is screwed to the purlins with special screws that have a washer attached to them so that they don't leak. You can see the screws sticking through; the chickens won't be anywhere near the points, so I didn't worry about them. I have to be careful, though.
Thank you! That's helpful. I really like your idea of adding an extra wood beam (purlin) as support because - you're right - the metal poles are very far apart!

Check your pole diameters. Then get these (sized appropriately, of course) to wrap around the underside of your poles and screw/bolt to wood above. That will allow you to attach purlins above your metal framing you can then secure your metal roof to.

Or accept minor leaks, pre-drill holes, and use self tapping screws to secure directly to the poles. I would NOT do it that way, but it is an option.

Back
Top Bottom