Any suggestions for chick that has been pecked at bottom?

Brahmamama4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Washington
I picked up 3 Salmon Faverolle chicks today at my local feed store that were some of the only survivors of a weak shipment of chicks they received last week. Two of the 3 are doing great, the last one had a pasty butt and when I went to clean it I discovered I was wiping away blood too :( it has what appears to be almost a cut about a half inch in length right below it's vent. I cleaned her up and put neosporin on the cut, but she is noticeably weaker then the others. I also have given them added electrolytes in the water. Any other suggestions?

You can only do the best you can! :) It's hard to lose them but some times it happens. Keep that little one hydrated and fed. With a baby being that young you can use olive oil, to keep area moist to heal and won't be poisonous if he pecks at it. Keep it warm and it's the best you can do!

Checked her out again today and she is doing so much better! The slice is almost completely healed up! I can't believe how hardy these little guys are. I thought I would have to put her to sleep because the slice was so close on her bottom that it would just get infected from all her droppings and make her really ill, but she pulled through! Just wanted to give that little update.

Back
Top Bottom