Any theories - how to check if the egg's still alive without candling?

Nelaka

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
pgpoultry suggested to put the egg in warm water and if it moves, it means that it is alive.

Thanks in advance!

To each their own.

I would never do that to an incubating egg.

At day 22.5 and 23 I have candled and saved chicks by pipping into the air sac and have save a couple this way.

I would never do that either. Why would you want to put a live egg in water? the shells are porous thats how they breathe and if you put them in water you'd be drowning them. Why dont you just candle them. All you have to do is get a mini maglight flashlight at walmart for like 9 bucks and the even come with batteries sometimes. There super for candleing.
wink.png

Quote:
Ditto! I've heard how people have done a few rude things to hatching eggs at day 18-20.
I've never tried this and most probably won't either but some say you can hear if the little chick is alive but making a small crack in the egg. - I find this very stupid. No offense intended.
smile.png

Miss Floppy

Hm. I asked my fiance about it (he's a farmer) and he said he had forgotten about the water test (when i was panicking about my own eggs) and that it was actually pretty common to do to overdue eggs to check on them. Apparently his family has done it for years. I'm pretty sure you don't put the egg in the water for longer than a few seconds and the ones that go completely underwater are the dead ones anyway...
hmm.png

But hey, I'm new to this whole thing - I just ask my fiance but he moved to the city when he was 15, so we're both a little confused.

I think the best way to tell is to wait and see. that way there is no chance of hurting the eggs until you are absolutely sure that there is nothing happening.

Back
Top Bottom