Any tips on dealing with minks?

Mink have a pretty large range so can disappear for long periods of time. I have game camera photos of one trying to get in my coop at noon last winter.

Believe me, I am highly concerned about foxes and dogs. :hmm Pretty sure we'll be fighting predators constantly.

I'm absolutely loving your information-packed posts, @Biddybot ! :) Like most predators, it seems foxes are somewhat beneficial in their own ways. Too bad they can't be trusted around poultry.

Ugh....raccoons are the worst. Good job disposing of your threat! :thumbsup
If the previous owner mentioned dogs running around in the area, that’s another threat to the chickens. Or maybe I misread your post?
Most certainly. At risk of sounding harsh, roaming dogs with bad intentions (I understand it's instinct, but same could be said for anything attacking chickens) are fair game.....easy targets. I don't play around. Minks sound a bit more sneaky and difficult to combat. :(

~Alex

I'm very appreciative of all the advice given here! :caf

Our flock will be provided with a secure coop to take refuge in at night. :) Thankfully, there's a lovely, airy shed on the property which can easily be converted into shelter. Should hardware cloth be sufficient to keep minks out if installed properly?

I know a couple individuals who've dealt with mink attacks during the day, which is what scares me most. The birds will be free-ranged daily to cut down on tick population. :hmm Sadly, I think a few deaths here and there are inevitable. Best I can do is try to be proactive about trapping (very thankful for the information concerning prime bait!).

Former owner of our new property didn't mention anything about seeing minks. His only issues were with foxes and dogs allowed to roam. Hopefully things will work out for the most part.

~Alex
They are small and furtive. I don't think most people "see" them unless they specifically go looking one way or another.

Well.....I believe I have added another line of defense. :) A couple weeks ago, Rural King sold me 12 guineas for $1.50 a piece. :wee Hopefully their resounding alarm calls will help a little.

~Alex
That sounds great!

Read up on guineas. They require some different “socialization” than chickens to keep from just flying away. I liked the book “Gardening with Guineas.”

Here in a few months, we're going to be moving to a heavily wooded property complete with water sources. It's my understanding that this is prime mink territory, and considering our flock will be free-ranged, these pests could be a huge problem. Does anyone have extensive experience with them? Just how dire is the threat? How does one go about trapping?

~Alex
A baby monitor on your birds at night (secured every night), a good 22lr rifle (or discreet equivalent such as a powerful airgun), and some conibear bucket sets should keep you afloat. Not to mention you may be able to turn some of the pelts for profit.

A baby monitor on your birds at night (secured every night), a good 22lr rifle (or discreet equivalent such as a powerful airgun), and some conibear bucket sets should keep you afloat. Not to mention you may be able to turn some of the pelts for profit.

What size conibear and bucket do you recommend for mink?

That sounds great!

Read up on guineas. They require some different “socialization” than chickens to keep from just flying away. I liked the book “Gardening with Guineas.”
May I ask what you mean by "different socialization?" :) Admittedly, I haven't done extensive research on the subject. :oops: Quite eager to learn before it's too late, and these little brats are beyond hope. :lol:
We have the firearms covered. ;) A relative also brought up selling mink fur, which is a wonderful idea.
Don't count on them, they may be the first to go.
My expectations aren't too high at this point. :) These guineas will serve other purposes, as well, such as pest control (if nothing else). Ticks run rampant on our new property.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom