Any tips on keeping temp up overnight?

cedavid2012

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
NE OH
I am a newbie to chickens, but have been researching and planning for a year. I have 20 chicks coming sometime between the 16th-18th. I have an 8' x 8' coop built out of a repurposed playhouse. I live in NE Ohio. The temperatures this week are supposed to be in the 70's during the day and the 40's or 50's at night. I've set up a large cardboard box in the coop for the chicks with a heat lamp with a red 250watt bulb. During the day the temp. stays right around 95 F. However, at night it is only hovering around 60 F (with the heat lamp). I really cannot keep the chicks in the house, because my husband is very allergic to dust. If anyone has any tips on keeping the temperature up overnight l would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.:)

Last edited:
I use two heat lamps. & keep them directed to the same zone (so the chicks can choose where they want to be in the heat zone). I stagger them in height (one higher than the other) or at same height depending on what the thermometer reads. when things are warmer, I will only need one light.

as mine have now feathered quite a bit & nights are getting warmer, i'm down to one light & I keep raising it to avoid over heating them.

hope all goes wonderful with your babies.

You could put the second lamp on a timer that comes on at night.

I use a second lamp that is connected to a thermostat controlled outlet. It is set about 5 to 10 degrees below the temperature I want. Good thing about that is it also acts as a backup if my other lamp fails.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom