Any ways I can help my hen lose weight?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Circling back to my issue of an obese hen,
how can I help her lose weight besides limiting treats and food?

They are not free range but have a large run and many roosts (she cant go up roosts yet)

I’m confident i can help her lose weight and be healthy again. If anyone has tips it will help greatly.

Put her into a nest with fake eggs. If is from an appropriate race will enter in broading mode and stop eating for 21 days, maybe a month. If is obese now, will exit from the experience much healthier

Or put her in a pan and it will be super delicious. You can always replace it with a healthy hen.

I've never had the issue, but just my ideas if I did.

I would only give her the chicken feed, nothing else, and try get her outside more for exercise. Can you make a ramp she has to climb to get to the roosts? That's exercise!

If you must, a little scrambled eggs or fresh greens could be a healthier treat than most.

She is on layer feed I presume? A cheaper kind may have a little higher fat than a more pricey one. I would investigate the feed and try find one that's a bit lower than the others, but I'm sure the difference is minuscule. It's just maybe worth checking on it though.

Circling back to my issue of an obese hen,
how can I help her lose weight besides limiting treats and food?

They are not free range but have a large run and many roosts (she cant go up roosts yet)

I’m confident i can help her lose weight and be healthy again. If anyone has tips it will help greatly.
I had a big hen once that i helped loose weight because she kept having problems with being eggbound. I cut out all treats and only gave her chicken feed, I also gave her veggies and other food just not fatty foods. And when she molted she lost a lot of her weight and after that I made sure to cut back on treats and still do. She gets them every once in a while but not many as she just gains weight very fast. Also if it’s possible let them roam free. If not all day then just for a few hours or even just an hour where she can have a chance to roam around😊

I've never had the issue, but just my ideas if I did.

I would only give her the chicken feed, nothing else, and try get her outside more for exercise. Can you make a ramp she has to climb to get to the roosts? That's exercise!

If you must, a little scrambled eggs or fresh greens could be a healthier treat than most.

She is on layer feed I presume? A cheaper kind may have a little higher fat than a more pricey one. I would investigate the feed and try find one that's a bit lower than the others, but I'm sure the difference is minuscule. It's just maybe worth checking on it though.
I do have a ramp in the run that connects to a roosting bar, but she doesn't seem like she wants to go on it. She can fly up to the sleeping area though, so I know she is capable of it. She's just kind of scared that she will fall.

I'll look at the kind of feed when I get home! Ty for your help!

Put her into a nest with fake eggs. If is from an appropriate race will enter in broading mode and stop eating for 21 days, maybe a month. If is obese now, will exit from the experience much healthier

Or put her in a pan and it will be super delicious. You can always replace it with a healthy hen.
Thanks! She is a pet chicken so I won't be eating her. Maybe she will start laying again soon and will lose weight.

I do have a ramp in the run that connects to a roosting bar, but she doesn't seem like she wants to go on it. She can fly up to the sleeping area though, so I know she is capable of it. She's just kind of scared that she will fall.

I'll look at the kind of feed when I get home! Ty for your help!
Overweight animals are just like people; decrease the caloric intake, add some exercise, and both help maintain, lower weight.

You could try come up with things in the run like a pile of leaves, bale of straw/hay, a small stack of firewood, etc. Things for them to scratch around in or climb on.

That's not exactly helpful... brooding is hormone driven.

Overweight animals are just like people; decrease the caloric intake, add some exercise, and both help maintain, lower weight.

You could try come up with things in the run like a pile of leaves, bale of straw/hay, a small stack of firewood, etc. Things for them to scratch around in or climb on.
Thank you :) She loves to dust bathe/scratch around. She also runs when she sees me. She gets exercise but not as much as I would like.

Back
Top Bottom