Anybody Breeding Silver Fox rabbits

my new doe( unexpierenced) gave birth to 4 babies, mid day. I checked this am, and again at 4 pm with nothing. went out to ensure enough protection from the rain we just started getting and found a loose baby. Two were still born and two seem healthy enough. ( one was wet outside of her box.) first time mama so I put the baby back in and covered them to keep warm. hope all goes well. Second mama is expierenced so hopefully that goes a little better. but she is also pulling fur so should be more babies in the AM.

Hi, i just got rabbits to start breeding rabbits and I purchased one blue silver fox doe. I saw earlier on this thread that growth can be stunted if she is bred too soon and that age doesnt matter but was just wondering if there was an approximate age to reach that size for planning purposes. I also do not have a silver fox buck. would it be best to breed with a sandy flemish giant or a gray giant chinchilla for pelt/size? also if i do breed with another silver fox should i aim to find a blue buck?

I just got trio of silver foxes, bread them on 8/17, and I am not sure if my nest boxes 10''-18'' will be big enough for them. What size would you recommend? They are in 36"-30" wire cages. I love the breed they are so friendly and calm.
smile.png

We have come across the Silver Fox breed of meat rabbit an we love it. We purchased a buck . But we are having such a hard time finding a doe in or around our area. We live in Devore , Southern California. Also interested in Giant Chinchillas, Purebred. Don't need papers. Have no interest in showing. Does anyone know where I could find breeders as close to our area that have pure breeds for sale ? Thank You for any and all info. Very much appreciated
1f60a.png

Thank you for your information. It was helpful to me as a newbie in the rabbit world. We purchased 9 Isa Brown chickens last Spring and were so pleased with them we decided to raise rabbits as well. We have a great breeder not far away and purchased 3 one year old Silver foxes one black and two blue. We are raising them for meat not show but just had our first litter of kits 11 days ago and they are so cute its going to be tough when it comes time to process. Our other doe lost both her first babies in the bitter cold but the black one has been a great mom to her 3 that survived the cold.

I raise Silver Fox in Black and Blue. 6 years now, I breed for show meat and pets.

General rule for Silver fox is 8 months or 8 lbs which ever comes first.

I know other breeders who breed them at 6 months  and have had some of the product of the younger breeding's.

Usually a doe bred before 8 months old tend to stay on the small side and have issues kindling.

Silver fox are noted for having large litters between 6 -10 at one time. some smaller younger does will have problems taking care of that many babies as  inexperience will usually leave most of the babies cold on the bottom of the nest box.

Your little  Blues are very nice animals.

FYI Silver Fox  dress out with a 65 % meat to bone ratio,  making them one of the better meat rabbits.

Pelting one is the easiest I have ever dressed out. even 10 week old dress out easily.

Enjoy your Fox they are sweet rabbits, wonderful mothers and when you do breed them they make excellent foster mothers for another doe who is clueless when her babies arrive.

Add  a black fox if you are breeding and going to use the pelts, the black will stabilize the blue color making it stay the correct color.

http://www.nationalsilverfoxrabbitclub.org/

tons of information at the National Site. please visit and consider joining us Fox enthusiasts.

My Silver Fox are consistent with 33 days give or take a day.

Are the does acting like they are nesting at all?

If you can feel the kits, be patient, put lots of straw in and let nature do its thing.

Hi sorry to hijack,

I've got to does ready to kindle right now. I've timed the breeding but am questioning if the silver fox incubation time is the standard 30-31 days of other rabbit breeds. I'm currently at 32-33 days and still nothing. I can feel babies in their bellies but still nothing. Advise?

Hi sorry to hijack,

I've got to does ready to kindle right now. I've timed the breeding but am questioning if the silver fox incubation time is the standard 30-31 days of other rabbit breeds. I'm currently at 32-33 days and still nothing. I can feel babies in their bellies but still nothing. Advise?

Hi I raise SF in black and blue. I have one doe that goes 33 days every time. Sometimes they do go over a but. No worries. They should be fine.

Does kindle at 32 days for me. One thing that I did wrong when first counting the gestation was to count the breeding day as 1. Start at one the next day, maybe that will help. Anyway they can go up to 40 days had have live kits. Just a waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom