Anybody Breeding Silver Fox rabbits

so I have a beautiful one-year-old Silver Fox female with a tattoo in her ear the first time she kindled she had 9 healthy babies in dec. ....... I'm basically doing this for fun and for meat, I want to get some babies with different colors I don't know how to do that with a silver fox female, I got my hands on a beautiful Harlequin buck, and I had four Fall Offs about a week ago.....any genetic wiz can can te'll me whatbthe kits will look like?

so I have a beautiful one-year-old Silver Fox female with a tattoo in her ear the first time she kindled she had 9 healthy babies in dec. ....... I'm basically doing this for fun and for meat, I want to get some babies with different colors I don't know how to do that with a silver fox female, I got my hands on a beautiful Harlequin buck, and I had four Fall Offs about a week ago.....any genetic wiz can can te'll me whatbthe kits will look like?
Hi, I do raise Silver Fox in standard and blue. I have no idea what you would get from the cross you've made. I guess good meat mutts. If you can find a purebred buck to breed to your Silver Fox. It is a heritage breed and I think are still on the watch list at the Livestock Conservancy. I breed for type , coat, meat to bone ratio and only purebreds. The breed needs more good breeders to help inside they dont go extinct. Hope you decide to find a SF buck.

The only other pedigree Buck I could breed her to is her father who also has an ear tattoo etc. The breeder I got her from can't believe how beautiful she is her type coloring and temperament are amazing they want me to show her but I've never done that in my life :) I was just breeding this time to get some different colors you know just to say have a different variety in the kits I wonder if they're just going to be half and half meaning either one color or the other thank you for reading my post

Most likely Chestnut Agouti (wild-type coloring); they may show some silvering if you keep them around long enough for it to develop.

Thanks... 2 more weeks.to.go and it's heating up here in CT. Im.actually hoping for a small litter lol ... I like 4 -6 in the hot months so they grow strong . And not too much stress on momma :)

Last edited:
You will get all blacks, or, agouti depending on the genetics of the harliquinn. Sadly, you'll lose quite a bit of the meat type from the harli. They're such a terrible breed.

Good luck.

Cool thanks on the coloring info. I'm not too worried about the meat the female I bred her this time because I didn't want her going to long in between it's already been 7 months since her last litter. I think after this one and maybe the next I'll put her in retirement ... she's the only rabbit in seven years I've got attached to

Believe it or not, Harlequin is an Agouti-based color. Since agouti is dominant to self (black is a self-based color) chestnut (agouti-based) is more likely than black. Occasionally, you can get chestnuts with dark harlequin markings showing through, particularly on the belly. The only reason that black might be more likely than chestnut would be if the steel gene is involved, as it often is in New Zealands and Californians.

They're such a terrible breed.

While I admit that a lot of Harlequin breeders pay an awful lot of attention to markings, and not enough attention to type, as a long-time Harlequin breeder, I don't appreciate them being referred to as a "terrible breed." You can get decent meaty type breeding to Harlies, lots of people have done it; including me (you don't get a lot of points for type on a show table, but hey, it sure doesn't hurt, right?):confused:

She's 2 weeks today. I dont think shes showing . Her first time she made her nest already by now lol. Now shes all.laid back . I doubt she skipped. There were 4 successful fall offs......

Believe it or not, Harlequin is an Agouti-based color. Since agouti is dominant to self (black is a self-based color) chestnut (agouti-based) is more likely than black. Occasionally, you can get chestnuts with dark harlequin markings showing through, particularly on the belly. The only reason that black might be more likely than chestnut would be if the steel gene is involved, as it often is in New Zealands and Californians.

While I admit that a lot of Harlequin breeders pay an awful lot of attention to markings, and not enough attention to type, as a long-time Harlequin breeder, I don't appreciate them being referred to as a "terrible breed." You can get decent meaty type breeding to Harlies, lots of people have done it; including me (you don't get a lot of points for type on a show table, but hey, it sure doesn't hurt, right?):confused:
I love the breed

Back
Top Bottom