Anybody every drown a bird for processing/why or why not?

Because all you need to do is pour a tablespoon of water in their nostril.
hide.gif

Oh right, you wanted to distance yourself from the deed. Nevermind!

Last edited:
I would suspect the only really humane way would have to be a blow to the head or shot. Many bleed out birds or cut their heads off thinking it is more humane. But if you read that the brain has enough oxygen and may be functioning for minutes , you may question that. That is why, when having to dispose of severly injured livestock, a gun is often used, often by vets. This is a partly hypothetical question, and am wondering if the amount of time the bird expires is the same as "bleeding out" or headchopping is. People didn't used to know that the brain is still functioning for a few moments to minutes,I believe 5-6 ...therefore the brain is still experiencing ...... I was thinking for those who are squeamish about the bleeding, headchopping it may be less tramatic for the human.... I had just finished reading the thread about those who wanted emotional support for "doing the deed". I have not processed any birds and am not sure I can yet as I am raising heritage birds for preservation and show.....

Last edited:
The humane processors use a CO2 chamber and render the birds unconscious before killing the birds by bleeding out. The processor that we use will not kill a conscious bird.

Drowning is one of the worst ways to go. why would you not use the accepted methods of just slitting the throat or cutting the head off?

Drowning is one of the worst ways to go. why would you not use the accepted methods of just slitting the throat or cutting the head off?
The OP is adopting the "out of sight out of mind" approach. Same way people sometimes dispatch caged Opossums. So the ax would defeat that idea.

CO2 does anesthetize the animal, that's how they dispatch lab rats.

Of course if you have a DH, you can use the ax and the deed will be out of sight, out of mind. Its a win-win.

Last edited:
Drowning is a horrible way to go. Please don't drown your chickens. buy a processing cone and slit the chickens neck.

That being said, I understand the wanting to distance yourself from the deed. I'm that person that will take a spider out of the house instead of squish it. I never thought I'd become okay with taking a life. but as meat prices sore and we were unable to afford meat, my chickens started looking pretty yummy.

So I decided this was part of my journey, & to own up to my omnivore nature and take responsibility for the deed. I watched a ton of youtube vids on the subject ,I would suggest that you do the same if you are as squeamish. as I was. It really helped my to become comfortable.

Now I am empowered that I can provide a beautiful nutritious meal for my family.

that's a horrible way for a chicken (or any animal) to die. If you can't do it quick methods, then either hire someone else to do it or don't raise meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom