Anybody feed beet pulp

brojrm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Zachary La.
Hey I was wondering if anybody has fed their birds beet pulp. Were the results good or bad. I was thinking of adding it to my mix.

Description
Beet Pulp is the vegetable matter that remains after sugar is extracted from sliced sugar beets. It is bulk feed, high in fiber and unique in that its fiber is extremely digestible. Beet Pulp swells tremendously when moistened which pulls the ration apart in the animal’s stomach and allows the gastric juices to circulate freely.

Typical Analysis
Crude Protein 7.0%
Fat 0.3%
Fiber 22.0%
TDN 74.0%
NE/L 0.81 Mcal/lbs.
Calcium 0.6%
Phosphorus 0.1%

Chris

I am only guessing but it could be good if used in small quantity. I may change my mind and use it sparingly in the future. I dont mind lean birds. I just dont want unhealthy either. Lots to learn here seems to be a really good place to do it.

I included 1 part in my last grain mix but they don't eat it, so I'll leave it out next time. I think I might try fermenting it; they may well gobble it up then :)

Kind of reminds me of when I tried to feed alfalfa meal to my girls. It is supposed to be so good for them and yet they acted like it wasn't edible. I ended up putting it around my fruit trees.
roll.png

lol.png

Critters can be so weird! Our rabbits love the alfalfa, but only the grass portion...the flowery bits they leave in the dish. I've tried tossing some in the run with the chickens and they turn up their beaks. I think I'll save the powdery stuff and mix it in with their oatmeal or yogurt...they'll eat it that way, LOL...and get some extra protein into 'em in the doing. As soon as it's warm enough to do my fermenting outside, I'm going to start it up again. I had it going in the house for a while and it worked well, but I ended up with fruit flies all over the place...and I HATE those pesky little things!

Back
Top Bottom