anybody seen this mutation before?

darkfur

Songster
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
46478_mutation.jpg

has anyone (other than you Michael!) got this mutation? See how the male on the left (yep,definitely a male - vent sexed and all) has speckles all the way down his chest? I put a normal pharoah next to him for comparison. The speckles are actually even a bit different to those of a female because they are tri coloured - fawn/red/dark as opposed to dark on fawn. Nice isn't he? Got the egg he hatched out of from another breeder in NZ and have been pleasantly surprised. I have another mutation I will post a pic of some time, we call them "pale quail", seem to be common in NZ, they are like a gold but without any dark speckles just some shading of light and darker fawn. The pale quail only seems to appear in males so I am guessing it has some weird sex-linked inheritance (maybe needs 2 alleles to express).

OOOooo very nice! You mean you haven't seen this before? You are the standing expert on color mutation in my book, from all the reading you have sent me! Wow. very pretty quail.

I have 2 mutant button males like that. They look like females. I have 1 female that has male colouration and lays eggs now. I saw her and she is the only male in a single cage unless aliens layed it??? Woooooooo quails are weird.
Cheers Martha

Last edited:
I jokingly call it "Just Pat" syndrome.
I see it from time to time in my little brown flock. Though it has never been that pronounced, and never at such an advanced age.
An androgynous roo, or roo with hen spots. They usually outgrow it, and get normal colors when they grow their adult feathers.

Sorry for the edit but my spelling sucks!

Last edited:
Quote:
I had a every nice BF fella that even had red vent feathers then one day he laid an egg, cuz he was a she, yap every once in while weird, I also have a Golden pearl male that looks like a female he is a sexy guy and very well known in the button world as the only one of his kind, I have one of his sons that is about half female colored. Odd little birds.

the OP's quail are a nice looking pair look to be good size too. I do very little with that breed so no clue on the question I would refer to JJ's answer on that one

I should take a photo of him next to one of his sisters - it does actually look a bit different from a girl. He has a russet mask like the bloke he is, and he has slightly different and more extensive colouration on his chest. He has a brother the same and the breeder has some more like him. I haven't found anything like him in the scientific literature but breeders usually get their hands on new mutations before scientists do. Would love to see some photos of yours JJ

Unfortunately it would be hard to tell them from the rest of the quail in my freezer.....
he.gif

I went and looked the ladds over this afternoon as i have someone near me interested in this pattern and i dont beleive i have any of that oddity left after the last culling
somad.gif

I have 2 maybes but they are still quite young, maybe 4 wks old? So its too soon to tell on those guys yet.. Of the ones i have had they look like a regular brown roo, but the chest is a way darker rust colored with the dark brown speckles like a hen would have. To be honest until I saw this post i didnt think anything of it!

As far as pics--- i dont have any of the last batch. While i can get pic of these 2 as they grow i am a computer dummy and can never seem to get pix to load on here.

Last edited:
If it is the same/similar mutation to mine, you may be able to tell by the extent of the speckling. On the mutants it goes right down to the legs, it's not just the upper chest like a hen. I hope they taste nice anyway lol

Back
Top Bottom