Anybody use one of these for a brooder?

Eggnonymous

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Carroll County, GA
I have used a frig box as a brooder for my chicks, but thought the bottom would get too gross fast. I know some have used the hard plastic pools, but with 8-10 ducklings that will quickly be too small. Saw these (18" D x 8' diam.) for $19 w/free shipping and thought "maybe??". Just wondered if the liner is thick enough to withstand them. Also, if I put my goslings (3) in with them will they bond too much to live in separate areas of the farm?

[URL]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510E6SHlHNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/URL][img]

Thanks ya'll!

Last edited:
The sides of those pools are very flimsy/wobbly--the stay up by the weight of the water. Looking at my 3 week old duckling running around right now, I'm afraid they would be able to push the bottom part of a wall inward, making the side collapse.

I currently have my ducklings inside my home office. I made a ring to enclose them with wire shelving. You could try welded wire fencing around the inside of the pool.

Last edited:
I use a refrigerator box lined with newspaper. It's in my dog run under the carport. Works great, but the weather is too cold right now so the babies are in the bathtub for now. I think the pool you are looking at might be a problem, I think the water helps keeps the pool walls upright. Might work if you brace them across the top though.

Hmm. Yes, needs more thought. I really don't want to do the frig box again though we had a good set-up (a roll of floor protection paper - like contractors use - works great when pulled through a slit near the bottom of the box from end to end). I know ducklings are much sloppier and would like to use something "rinseable".

Tried once once for about 15 minutes. The ducklings paniced, ran to the side away from me pushed the side over and scattered. You could try a ring of welded wire fence outside of the pool. My local big box has something they call "rabbit guard" fence about 18" high with the horizional bars getting farther apart as you go up the fence. Usually in the garden store.

Back
Top Bottom