Anyone Adding Dried Herbs & Spices to Chicken's Feed?

Hey, great to have you guys joining me in figuring out herbs and spices for our chickens
frow.gif

I've just found this thread on BYC that looks interesting....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/372896/by-request-the-ethno-botanical-thread

I'm looking into nettles for the girls. I've heard they can encourage your hens to lay way more eggs. What I'm trying to figure out now is the botanical name for stinging nettles, and if I can find the right type here in Thailand.

Happy reading everyone!

Never heard of anyone doing this, is it to flavor their meat or something? Lol. I think my chickens get enough from the wild herbs around my property.

NO WAY would i add any essential oils. You have to be VERY careful when using these on humans and other pets.

Quote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with using herbs with chickens. While, yes of course, it's not "scientific", personal experience says a lot! Lots of people are still skeptical of "scientific research" because so often the results can be misleading, misinterpreted or simply just don't pan out with common sense.

I'm curious, what were the supposed general "negative consequences" of using the tumeric, cinnamon and cayenne? Was it using all 3 of those herbs in those quantities they said had negative consequences, or was it something different? I know it was 5 years ago, but perhaps you have a better memory than I do!

As for adding a POUND of green tea to feed, my, that would be expensive. Even cheap green tea isn't all that cheap. And I don't think growing tea is all that easy, if I understand it correctly. I suppose it might be worth it if you could determine that you had the specific worm species in your chickens. If you ever come across that article again, please do post it, I'd love to read it.

I'm curious, what were the supposed general "negative consequences" of using the tumeric, cinnamon and cayenne? Was it using all 3 of those herbs in those quantities they said had negative consequences, or was it something different? I know it was 5 years ago, but perhaps you have a better memory than I do!

That was a typing error. It was supposed to be "withOUT supposedly negative consequences." Sorry for the confusion.

Personally I think a larger amount of dried, powdered tumeric, cinnamon, and cayenne can be used, but those studies (from years ago) indicated those amounts were the upper limits for inclusion in dry feed. But the studies did claim that a difference was made in chicken health with only that small amount, which is good news by way of thinking.

Additionally my layers get hot/mild pepper tops/stems and seeds often in addition to the dry powder in their feed about every other day--the most is probably the remains of about 8 peppers for about 20 chickens. I have never detected flavor issues. I have no way to prove that anything I am feeding my chickens is beneficial ... other than they act like my idea of what chicken do ... lay eggs, scratch the ground, grow feathers, roost at night, eat, etc.

I will post that article about green tea and worms in the ileum if I ever come across it again. It bothers me that I lost my copy of it because it's pretty amazing info. I hope I'm not remembering it incorrectly!

Back
Top Bottom