Anyone eat Coturnix quail eggs?

You know, I've NEVER had a problem peeling eggs. Not even my 1-2 day old quail eggs. I've never understood why anyone else does. I boil them (either by boiling water first, or by putting hot water on, then eggs in, then letting it boil), then drain the water, grab an egg, run it under cold water, or dump a few into a bowl of cold water, then peel. The cold water may be it though, because if I chill a BUNCH at a time, they get harder to peel as I go, so just chill enough to get ahold of them without burning yourself.

Quote:
I have put white vinegar in the water when boiling and that has helped and another trick I have tried is-immediately after boiling, pou hot water off and cover with lots of ice and cold water. That worked too.

I looove eggs, and this is one of my motivations for starting a small coturnix flock.

While laughing at people with big hands trying to crack small eggs is always good fun- anyone ever watch Iron Chef (the real one)? Morimoto and others have demonstrated the "easy way"
1. Take quail egg in hand
2. Take a knife sharp as the dickens in the other
3. Cut off the top of the egg*
4. Pour cute mini egg onto, into, over whatever

And who said tv couldn't teach us anything?

*Not really, do not handle knives, illustrative/informational purposes only, do not attempt, do not taunt happy fun ball, if you attempt this technique, you waive right to sue me.
- in all seriousness, this can be done with a sharp paring knife but I wouldn't advise it. You will crush the egg unless you use a slicing motion, and if you do this with a paring knife, you run the risk of doing some real damage. In short, small chef or narrow japanese blade please.

Also, you will come across quail egg scissors in fancy catalogues, but do not be fooled, these gimmicks are not for diy'ers like the good folks around here!
cool.png

does the vinegar taste get into the eggs. I hate vinegar so if I can sense any of it on the eggs I won't be able to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom