Anyone else dealing with the Texas rains?

RyanMcG

In the Brooder
May 21, 2015
We have had torrential downpours and my flock is severely impacted. Many of my lovely chickens were almost ready for slaughtering and processing, so I think I'm gonna have to start today. Looks like I'm going to have to up my chicken consumption!!

I'm in Texas as well, East Texas to be exact. Several weeks ago I lost a third of my flock to a flash flood that flowed through my tractor. The rest were left coughing and weak and I lost several more over the next few days. I put them back on antibiotic feed and they started doing much better. I'm currently waiting to butcher the remaining birds and hoping they hold out a bit longer so they don't have the antibiotics in their system. I've got 5 cornish x and 13 red rangers left and they're all still walking and foraging fine and seem to be tolerating the weather better. I moved their tractor to higher ground, which is unfortunately close to my house and it's quite stinky but at least I'm not dealing with drowning birds anymore. This is my first year doing meat birds and it's quite frankly been a horrible experience. Our land has never flooded like this before, it's insanity.

Texas here, as well. Just South East of San Antonio. It has been horrible. :( Thankfully I haven't lost any but they are seriously miserable. I have momma hens with chicks who are having a terrible time trying to give their babies outdoor time without getting caught in a sudden downpour. I don't think I (or my poor birds) can handle much more!

UUUGGHHHHH!!!! So much chicken. Due to having had to process all my birds I've been eating at least 5 whole chickens a day. SSOOO FFUUULLLLLL!!!

I'm in soaked and saturated Austin. Due to city rules, my coop is located at the low end of a slight slope, where the run is now a smelly mess of mud. The chickens are spending lots of time in the garage, where the floor is cleaner. The flies are horrible, traps are filling up rapidly. Mulch is getting washed downslope forming dams and large puddles.

We're getting downpours followed by warm sunny periods that steam up the air. The yard is less able to drain and water is getting into the garage, adding a lot a cleanup time, with the chickens hanging out there. When the birds are outside, they get covered in mud and track in onto the fresh bedding. My concern is that mold will soon take over.

I'm spending a lot time navigating dangerous slippery ground, because my meat ducks have consumed all the greenery. They are at slaughter age, but the rain is slowing down that process.

One of my make-shift pens was destroyed in the Memorial day storm. Wind or lightning hit my pop-up canopy and twisted the frame into something bizarre, tangling it with the wire-fencing. The chickens are escaping the yard, and I have to do head-counts and captures throughout the day.

This is an opportunity to improve my landscape to better support poultry keeping. I'm thinking I need a french drain to circumvent (or underlie?) the run; some hardscape to give me safer access; a larger coop to give them indoor recreation; more shelter plants, forage plants, and erosion-prevention plants.

Our magnificent highland lakes are filling up, after being near empty for several years due to drought. That's wonderful, but I look forward to relief from all this monitoring, cleaning, salvaging, hand feeding, and other labor.

Back
Top Bottom