Anyone else have bare bottom hens?

Quote:
The flock block is a food supplement. Kind of like scratch in the form of a 1ft square block that can be offered for entertainment and a treat. Purina makes the one I bought. It's been in my run for a few days and the chickens have barely made a dent in it.

I have a similr situation with the bare backs and SLIGHTLY bare on the butts. I do have a rooster. I think it may be a little of the rooster and boredom. They don't have any mites but I have dusted them anyway. Think I need to provide them with more entertainment. I have started to add a fruit that will last all day for them to peck on. working on the rest. They also have eaten the small feathers as well. Do you think this is actual feather pecking, boredom, or natural like chase anything that looks interesting??

If you are a bit muddy, try hay in the run, that gives them something to scratch in. I pile it up in a corner, let them spread it around, this time of year, they could use a little greens too, and an alfalpha hay, might do the trick. I don't have alfalpha, just prairie hay, but I keep piling, they keep scrathching, and it is going to be pretty darn good compost for my garden next fall. mk

This is really helpful. So letting the girls free-range more will help stop the barebutt trend? My girls Jet and Java (both layers) have bare butts and poked backs by their tails. Pretty sure it's Red who's doing it but none of the other girls have this issue. Tiramisu is starting to get pecked at above her tail, though..

I have the same problem with my flock of eight...although 2 are fine. They will be a year old in May also. It was suggested to me that they may have mites, but even though I have treated them, the coop, and run, their bottoms are still naked. They do not have scabs or wounds of any kind, just their bare skin. I treated them with bluekote for several weeks, and for a while it seemed that their feathers were growing back. They have plenty of room in their coop and run, and they eat Purina Layena pellets. Do you think switching to mash will help? Also it's been suggested to me to feed them one small can of cat food a day, spreading it throughout the run so that they all have an equal chance to get some of it. Could they be molting this early? Thanks for asking the question!!

I fought this problem for well over a year. My roo was pecking the feathers & feeding them back to the girls. The girls caught on & the pecking problem grew. Tried every gimmick in the world nothing worked I got rid of the roo he started attacking me.I finally upped their protein using GBS. I mixed GBS & 20 % laying pellets 50- 50 for about a month. They will need the protein to grow feathers back. I isolated the ones that were dang near featherless till they feathered back out. I did this one by one it took alot of time.
I couldn't isolate two at a time because they would fight each other. If I was you I'd find the culprit & isolate her for a month. You need to disturb their pecking order. Then isolate the others one at a time feeding them higher protein & avian charge in their water till they feather back out & then add them back to the flock. It worked for me. They all look good lay eggs again & have fluffy butts. I never thought they would look like real chickens again but they do. I was told to cull them but never wanted to do this so I fought & fought & one the battle. They seem to get along better now. I do agree that big coops & runs are the way to go plus I free range. Good luck!!!!

It is perfectly normal for some hens to loose their bottom feathers (as long as they are not being pecked clean by other chickens). I think it has to do with keeping the eggs closer to their bodies for hatching - even if they aren't broody hens. I had several bare bottom hens last summer and after this winter's molt they have fuzzy bottoms again.

Back
Top Bottom