Anyone else in cold climate with broody hens ( duck and chicken)?

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
I am completely baffled. Cold snap started yesterday and a chicken hen went broody. I think it was a rhode island red. I collected eggs after dark so not sure who was pecking me. Seriously? it is 30 at night 45 during the day. At the same time My muscovie duck hen is a week into her sit. And some other fool duck is laying in the box next to her. I don't know if I should throw out the 20 or so eggs or let them be.. I don't know how anything can hatch after the cold nights with the hen not sitting on them. I dont know if I should just let the RR hen sit on some eggs or not. The last batch of chicks are over 2 months old now and the last group of ducklings are half the size of momma but have no feathers yet. Would love your opinions.

What is considered a cold snap in Alabama? You probably aren't cold enough to interfere with broodiness. Even here in Wisconsin I have had bantams go broody in the dead of winter. My muscovy quit laying in the fall. So definitely differences between the north and south as far as poultry.

I did a quick check of Huntsville in North Alabama. That seven day forecast shows a couple of nights in the lower 20's F. I'm sure Wisconsin is colder but that's still enough to freeze eggs if left out overnight. At least you get above freezing each day.

I have a broody sitting in eggs that should hatch in a couple of days. My low this morning was 16 F. At least the wind was calm. It's my first time letting a broody hen try to hatch this time of the year, it will be interesting how she does,

When I was collecting eggs to put under her I was down there two or three times a day to get the eggs before they got that cold. I did not let them stay down there overnight. If you want her to hatch maybe you can do that this weekend if you are going to be home.

Some people a lot further north than me have kept threads where they let a broody hatch this time if year. They generally did OK. It is harder and your chances of disaster are much higher when it is that cold so just how risk adverse are you. You are taking a chance so how badly do you want chicks right now?

I did a quick check of Huntsville in North Alabama. That seven day forecast shows a couple of nights in the lower 20's F. I'm sure Wisconsin is colder but that's still enough to freeze eggs if left out overnight. At least you get above freezing each day.

I have a broody sitting in eggs that should hatch in a couple of days. My low this morning was 16 F. At least the wind was calm. It's my first time letting a broody hen try to hatch this time of the year, it will be interesting how she does,

When I was collecting eggs to put under her I was down there two or three times a day to get the eggs before they got that cold. I did not let them stay down there overnight. If you want her to hatch maybe you can do that this weekend if you are going to be home.

Some people a lot further north than me have kept threads where they let a broody hatch this time if year. They generally did OK. It is harder and your chances of disaster are much higher when it is that cold so just how risk adverse are you. You are taking a chance so how badly do you want chicks right now?
I don’t really want to have more little ones around in the middle of winter. By the same token people keep asking me if I want to get rid of any hens or if I have any to sell and I’m not really willing to part with my ten original. I don’t seem to do really well with broadly chickens but my ducks do much better

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear ya. I have a 10 month old OEGB pullet that is just positive that she has a hankering for some chicks. Every night I go in to gather the few eggs I'm getting right now and Iris has her little butt firmly planted on anywhere from 1 to 3 eggs. Since the temps here right now are in the teens at night and 40s during the day no way she is getting eggs to sit on. I pull her out of the nest box and plop her down on a roost board. The temps are cold enough in the coop at night that I have no doubt that her belly is getting cooled off....in time for her to have another go at it the next day.

The earliest I've had a hen brood is February. I'd already broke her once and didn't feel right breaking her the second time. She did well with her babies and outside of a little frost bite on her comb she was no worse for the wear. I figured that since the chicks were due to hatch the end of the month it was close enough to the end of winter to let her have her way.

I'll give Iris a few eggs to sit on in March but till then she's out of luck.

Had a broody hatch and raise 3 chicks in January snow storm in PA. Snow lingered for weeks. Brought them in and out of garage in their covered cat litter box nesting box morning and evening for a few days. Would not do that again!!!!
Leave them be, outside is fine. I've watched alot of momma's and babies and see they DO NOT need nearly the kind of heat people insist they do! I have a momma and 5 chicks outside now. After a week it 2, don't see them under momma all day, just at night. Let her hatch them. BOL!

ETA... i never turn down a willing broody :) At worst I feed cockerels too long before they have to go to sale. Post on CL firs though. Always have buyers for layers. Mixes of all kinds. But I get it...Pain in the but, the extra feeders, waterers...slogging in the cold and mud. Blah!

Last edited:
You need a head light ;)

She's not sitting on them at night?

I let a broody hatch out in a frigid winter.......worked out OK but wouldn't do it again, now I break em.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-in-michigan-winter.947046/
the chicken is back out of her box .. the ducks on the other hand... one is laying and covering them with straw, the other is sitting... Im not so worried about the eggs with a hen on them. The other nest worries me but a friend said duck eggs wont freeze... go figure

Same thing here - I had a hen go broody about a week ago. I broke her broodiness right away and told her "My dear, we're NOT hatching out chicks in the winter. Let's try again in the spring."

Back
Top Bottom