Anyone feed kombucha to chickens?

True. I have a Suskovich tractor, so the goal is 30ish broilers in there. I find I need to move it at least 3 times a day, especially as they get bigger. Fermented would be a challenge for me, since I have many more chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese as well, and three Scottish Highland girls & a bull for their pleasure. It’s not mixing it... it’s scooping it out when everyone is hungry and wanting out all at once. The cattle are easy at least, already being out.

One time I gave our chickens a small piece of a SCOBY and put a tiny bit of kombucha in their water. Normally I use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Anyway, the kombucha would need to ferment long enough to actually become a vinegar (could take a month or more depending on temperatures). Some people drink it with a lot of sugar in it still.

I do not know the benefits, I mean it is a vinegar after fermenting long enough and alcohol content is minimal. My chickens liked the small piece of SCOBY and did not seem to have any issues. I only did this once, though.

I'm not really sure what it is all about. The kombucha takes quite a while to develop all the good bacteria and the mother etc. The post i looked at about fermented feed said to soak the feed for 48hrs, is that long enough to develop a fermentation?
I feed my girls fermented feed, the video I watched on YouTube said to ferment it 3 days. I feed the girls a batch in the morning, in the evening, I pour a batch into a strainer and let set over night and start another batch, so I always have 3 batches going and I rotate thru them. My girls absolutely love it.

Back
Top Bottom