Anyone feed organs to birds?

mestaske

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Southern Colorado
We butcher our own animals and when we get the packages of meat we also get the organs. We cook and feed these to the dogs. I was just wondering if anyone has done this with their chickens for extra protein. If anyone out there does, how much and how often do you feed? My chickens seem to love it and when its all chopped up it looks like canned cat food. Is this okay for ducks and geese? My goose was all over this.

I feed my chickens all sorts of leftovers, so I'm sure they've gotten organ meat at some point. They eat organs when they eat slugs and bugs and flies and mealworms, so getting organs individually wouldn't cause a problem. The general rule of thumb for "extra" food beyond their balanced daily food is for the extra food to be only 10% or less of their daily diet. So if you have chickens that eat 10 scoops of regular food per day, they should only get 1 scoop of that organ meat as an extra treat.

I would think that ducks and geese would be similar, but I don't know that for a fact.

My chickens get all manner of cooked meat, when it is available. They used to get raw meat when they would steal the little dog's food. I feed him otherwise now. Mine have eaten a large snake and a vole that I have seen. There seem to be fewer chipmunks of late. My chickens always have plenty of layer food available, so that they don't need anything else to eat.

If the meat is cooked, it will be easier for them to divide it as they fight over it.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom