Anyone from CA order from Meyer?

taffers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
We are first-timers, and I think we want to order from Meyer, but we are in California so I'm worried about such a long trip for the chicks! We do have a few local feed stores with chicks, but I'm particular regarding breeds, and I'm not confident that the feed stores are as diligent in sexing, etc.

Has anyone who lives in CA received chicks from Meyer? Did they arrive alive and well?

Thanks!

Even though I am not in CA (I am in NC) I would definitely order from Meyer Hatchery. We recently ordered 5 chicks on a Monday morning at 9 am and they arrived (happy and healthy) in Asheville, NC at 11:30 am the next morning. Their staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The chicks were packed with a heating pad along with plenty of packing to keep them safe and warm. They even through in a free (sexed) chick! Good luck with your chicken adventure, they are so fun!

I'm in Pennsylvania

I have ordered from Meyer several times.
All arrived healthy, never had any die.

I have hens that are great layers and just 2 weeks ago, I ordered 15 brown egg layer chicks.
They are a gift for my brother. All arrived perfect and peeping.

I highly recommend Meyer!

I've heard about bad experiences with feed store chicks, they turn out to be the wrong breed and wrong sex.

Thanks to both of you!

Yes, my husband was NOT happy that I didn't just buy some from the local feed store and save the $50 in shipping, but I didn't trust that they were healthy and properly sexed (as much as they can be)!

We live in WV and we have ordered twice from Meyer. The chicks arrived very healthy and we were extremely pleased.

Yes, my husband was NOT happy that I didn't just buy some from the local feed store and save the $50 in shipping, but I didn't trust that they were healthy and properly sexed (as much as they can be)!

Have you contacted your local feed store and asked them where they get their chicks? Every feed store around me is very upfront about what hatcheries they order from if you inquire, the big box feed stores around me even advertise the hatchery out in the open... If your local feed store is ordering from an established hatchery health and sexing should be as good as any other hatchery in theory...

I live in San Diego and ordered chicks from Meyer Hatchery last year. They were shipped out on Monday morning and arrived on Wednesday morning. All were alive and peeping. One was a bit sluggish but seemed fine by the next day and they are all five laying an assortment of egg colors.

And I'm very excited because my second order from Meyer shipped today and I'm expecting it this Wednesday as well! Both times I've split an order with a friend or coworker so that the shipping cost is less. I bet you could find someone who would be interested in doing the same with you. There is a Facebook page "California Poultry People" which would probably be a good place to ask around if anyone is interested in sharing an order.

Good luck!

I'm in temecula area and have ordered about 5 times from Meyer. They are awesome. Very helpful and the chicks are great. I've had a few die on a recent order but the replacements are due here tomorrow!! Like you I wanted specific breeds and to have a better warm and fuzzy that I was getting hens. Meyer is great and the customer service is first rate. The shipping charge is well worth it. Place your order while the breeds you want are available.

We are first-timers, and I think we want to order from Meyer, but we are in California so I'm worried about such a long trip for the chicks!  We do have a few local feed stores with chicks, but I'm particular regarding breeds, and I'm not confident that the feed stores are as diligent in sexing, etc.

Has anyone who lives in CA received chicks from Meyer?  Did they arrive alive and well?

Thanks!

Meyer is such a very good option but I would recommend you to try MyPetChicken. They are the best. Their chicks are guaranteed and healthy. Delivery little bit expensive but worthy 100%. Purebreed chicks. Bad thing, they are really popular and you need to place your order as soon as they are available otherwise everything will be sold out. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom