Anyone have any experience with Chuckey Chickens????

H2Momma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Flower Mound Area (N. TX)
Howdy,

I'm looking for a couple of Maran hens/pullets to add to my flock and I'm having no luck locally. I don't want to do the egg or chick thing, cause I don't have the set up. I've contacted Chuckey Chickens in TN and they've got several, but am wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? They do not show where their flocks are vaccinated or NPIP certified and the girls would have to be shipped to Dallas. Any info would be great and you can PM me if you'd like to keep it confidential.

Thanks,
Cathy

PS. If anyone knows of any available Marans roughly 6 months old, that are happy and healthy and willing to ship to Dallas, please let me know!

I've seen several of their ads on CraigsList and I just walk away from people asking SO much for birds - I have to wonder what their net cost is after they sell for $30-$90/bird. Their site even states they are "continually looking for the 'IT' birds". I read into that as working off the fads that people will pay lots of money for. Nowhere on their site does it indicate they breed to the standard, or mention "standard of perfection", for that matter. If I'm going to pay $50 for a bird, it had better win me some money. But that's me, and I'm a broke grad student. I know some people spend differently.

I've been looking locally, so I can tell you there's a guy in SC with show-quality BCM pullets who has the ribbons to prove it, and I've been talking to a lady, also in SC, who only breeds Marans, Ameraucanas and Silkies and is a member of several national organizations. I can send you their info if you're interested - I know the lady I mentioned does ship (once it gets warmer, or possibly now for started birds) and her prices are more reasonable ($15 for started pullets, though all <16wks at this time). I will mention that she is into the BBS coloring and I'm not sure how strongly she selects for other favorable traits.

Hope that helps, and good luck finding birds!

Thank you for your input, and like you I agree. I really hate buying anything site unseen, especially a living breathing animal. I am willing to pay a fair market price, but don't want to get taken advantage of, either! My main concern is health, but also looking to find girls around 6 months, so the intergration goes smoother and I just don't have the set up for eggs or chicks! Any information on any reputible Maran breeders would be much appreiciated!!!
Cathy

Hi - Thanks for your interest in our birds. We are NPIP certified by the State of Tennessee and have been tested for pullorum and AI, with satisfactory results. We have also vaccinated our entire flock of over 400 birds.

Our pricing is set by the market, generally speaking. The birds we sell for the higher prices have cost us similar prices.

We are a community-operated poultry ranch and we are not actually making a profit at all, after start-up costs, feed costs, utility costs and what we pay our help. This is a labor of love and our goals are to help the community of Horse Creek where we are located by providing jobs and job training and fresh eggs to supplement their diets.

Anyone is welcome to visit our ranch in Chuckey to view and/or select birds, providing they adhere to our simple rules regarding bio-security.

Please feel free to contact me directly or through our website at www.chuckeychickens.com

Last edited:
I just bought 6 chicks from them yesterday. We drove up to the farm, and not only is the drive spectacular - through the mountains, along the Nolichuckey Rover, their facility is beautifully maintained. The birds are in great health with some fun places for them to roost on. I really have never seen such a collection of beautiful birds. And the people were very helpful. I would highly endorse them. We have only had hatchery birds so I was really unprepared for the amazing color of Chuckey Chickens selections. I now understand why it is so important to maintain heritage breeds.

I will definitely return when we are ready to add to our flock. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I recently visited their operation to buy some chicks. You are getting your money's worth! Their chicken set up is the best I have seen. The coops looked as if they were cleaned every day and the family that is working the farm love chickens and care very much for them all. I would highly suggest purchasing from Chuckey Chickens. Their birds are show quality- that is why they are so costly. If you are looking for just a chicken that may or may not be what it is supposed to be don't buy from Chuckey because they really know what they are doing.

I know this is two months behind, but I just happened upon this thread. First, Im curious if OP found the chicken source.

Second, I was very weirded out that the company was so quick to post to a thread. While I certainly understand the need to be proactive in guarding the company reputation, I think it is a bit much to lurk in a forum. i hope you folks at chuckey chickens took a lesson and made changes to your website to include the info you posted here that the OP asked about.

And I hope you understand that people do want to check others experiences with a company or product before doing business. Responsible people want to make sure they arent buying from a chicken mill or a disreputable business. You got two really good unsolicited endorsements and I think you should have left it at that instead of posting.

I'm betting you do regular searches for your name and will find this post which is why I'm writing to you directly. I suggest starting your own thread from now on and leaving people to chat amongst themselves, because your response freaks me out so much I'm not sure if I would want to do business with you now and I cant be the only one since the thread all but died.

This is my opinion, but I do hope you think about how your action appears from a bystander.

Last edited:
I know this is two months behind, but I just happened upon this thread. First, Im curious if OP found the chicken source.
Second, I was very weirded out that the company was so quick to post to a thread. While I certainly understand the need to be proactive in guarding the company reputation, I think it is a bit much to lurk in a forum. i hope you folks at chuckey chickens took a lesson and made changes to your website to include the info you posted here that the OP asked about.
And I hope you understand that people do want to check others experiences with a company or product before doing business. Responsible people want to make sure they arent buying from a chicken mill or a disreputable business. You got two really good unsolicited endorsements and I think you should have left it at that instead of posting.
I'm betting you do regular searches for your name and will find this post which is why I'm writing to you directly. I suggest starting your own thread from now on and leaving people to chat amongst themselves, because your response freaks me out so much I'm not sure if I would want to do business with you now and I cant be the only one since the thread all but died.
This is my opinion, but I do hope you think about how your action appears from a bystander.

As a bystander, I would be more inclined to purchase from Chuckeyechickens. They answered questions concerning themselves in a respectable fashion that showed they care about their birds (biosecurity), constomers (willing to answer questions, and deal with people seeing their birds) and local community. They also have two excellent reviews!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom