Anyone have BARNACLE Geese?!?!

From http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/mbpermits.html

The
Migratory Bird Treaty Act (text) (summary) makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal Canada Goose Credit: Tim Bowmanregulations. The migratory bird species protected by the Act are listed in 50 CFR 10.13. View the list of MBTA protected birds.

Found here: http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/gmebrd.html

Alphabetical
Listings I find:
Duck, American Black, Anas rubripes*
Harlequin, Histrionicus histrionicus*
Hawaiian, Anas wyvilliana
Laysan, Anas laysanensis
Masked, Oxyura dominica
Mottled, Anas fulvigula*
Ring-necked, Aythya collaris*
Ruddy, Oxyura jamaicensis*
Tufted, Aythya fuligula
Wood, Aix sponsa*
Goose, Barnacle, Branta leucopsis
Bean, Anser fabalis
Canada, Branta canadensis*
Emperor, Chen canagica*
Greater White-fronted, Anser albifrons*
Hawaiian, Branta (=Nesochen) sandvicensis
Ross', Chen rossii*
Snow, Chen caerulescens*

Taxonomic List I find:
Family ANATIDAE (Swans, Geese, and Ducks)
Dendrocygna bicolor, Fulvous Whistling-Duck*
autumnalis, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck*
arborea, West Indian Whistling-Duck
Cygnus columbianus, Tundra Swan*
cygnus, Whooper Swan
buccinator, Trumpeter Swan*
Anser fabalis, Bean Goose
albifrons, Greater White-fronted Goose*
Chen caerulescens, Snow Goose*
rossii, Ross' Goose*
canagica, Emperor Goose*
Branta bernicla, Brant*
leucopsis, Barnacle Goose
canadensis, Canada Goose*
(=Nesochen) sandvicensis, Hawaiian Goose
Aix sponsa, Wood Duck*
Anas crecca, Green-winged Teal*
formosa, Baikal Teal
falcata, Falcated Teal
rubripes, American Black Duck*
fulvigula, Mottled Duck*
platyrhynchos, Mallard*
wyvilliana, Hawaiian Duck
laysanensis, Laysan Duck
bahamensis, White-cheeked Pintail
acuta, Northern Pintail*
querquedula, Garganey
discors, Blue-winged Teal*
cyanoptera, Cinnamon Teal*
clypeata, Northern Shoveler*
strepera, Gadwall*
penelope, Eurasian Wigeon
americana, American Wigeon*
Aythya ferina, Common Pochard
valisneria, Canvasback*
americana, Redhead*
baeri, Baer's Pochard
collaris, Ring-necked Duck*
fuligula, Tufted Duck
marila, Greater Scaup*
affinis, Lesser Scaup*
Somateria mollissima, Common Eider*
spectabilis, King Eider*
fischeri, Spectacled Eider*
Polysticta stelleri, Steller's Eider*
Histrionicus histrionicus, Harlequin Duck*
Clangula hyemalis, Oldsquaw*
Melanitta nigra, Black Scoter*
perspicillata, Surf Scoter*
fusca, White-winged Scoter*
Bucephala clangula, Common Goldeneye*
islandica, Barrow's Goldeneye*
albeola, Bufflehead*
Mergellus albellus, Smew
Lophodytes cucullatus, Hooded Merganser*
Mergus merganser, Common Merganser*
serrator, Red-breasted Merganser*
Oxyura jamaicensis, Ruddy Duck*
dominica, Masked Duck

This is federal regulations... state regulations may have more.

Last edited:
Thanks, that answers my question. I was not sure about them needing a permit because from what I looked up I really could not find anything that said they migrated to or through the US.
I am not worried about the federal permit since I am not really thinking about breeding them, the only problem is the PA state laws regarding the keeping of birds( at least wood ducks) is nuts. I wanted wood ducks just to keep as pets but they said they required federal sale and propagation permit as well as their own propagation permit, which is more than the feds require and would run $75 a year. I wish I lived in Ohio.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act (text) (summary) makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal Canada Goose Credit: Tim Bowmanregulations. The migratory bird species protected by the Act are listed in 50 CFR 10.13. View the list of MBTA protected birds.

A Federal Migratory Bird Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit will authorize you to sell, donate, or otherwise
dispose of to another person, properly marked, captive-reared migratory waterfowl and their eggs. A permit is not
required to sell or dispose of properly marked, captive-reared mallards. You should review Title 50 Parts 10, 13,
and 21.25 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). You are responsible for reviewing and understanding
these regulations before you request and accept a permit. These regulations can be found on our website at:
http://www.fws.gov/permits/ltr/ltr.shtml. Below is a review of several sections pertinent to a Federal Migratory Bird
Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit.
1. Do I need a permit to possess captive-reared migratory waterfowl?
No. Any person may, without a permit, lawfully acquire properly marked, captive-reared migratory
waterfowl of any species, alive or dead, or their eggs, and possess and transport such birds or eggs and any progeny
or eggs solely for his own use, subject to the following conditions:
(a) Such birds, alive or dead, or their eggs may be lawfully acquired from holders of valid Waterfowl Sale
and Disposal permits.
(b) All progeny of such birds or eggs hatched, reared, and retained in captivity must be physically marked
as defined in 21.13(b). (Also see question 3 below.)
(c) No birds or eggs or progeny may be disposed of by any means, alive or dead, to any other person unless
you have a valid Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit.
(d) Lawfully possessed and properly marked waterfowl may be killed, in any number, at any time or place,
by any means except shooting. Such birds may be killed by shooting only in accordance with all applicable
hunting regulations.
(e) When you acquire any waterfowl, alive or dead, from a Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permittee, the
permittee must give you the original of the completed Form 3-186, Notice of Waterfowl Sale or Transfer,
providing all information required by the form and method or methods by which individual birds are
marked.
Other regulations governing the possession of waterfowl can be found in 50 CFR 21.14.
2. Can I take waterfowl from the wild?
No. You may not take migratory waterfowl or their eggs from the wild and you may not acquire wild
waterfowl from another person. Anyone who transfers waterfowl to you must have a valid Waterfowl Sale and
Disposal permit.
3. Do I need to mark waterfowl that I propagate?
Yes. All live migratory waterfowl (including progeny) possessed in captivity under authority of a valid
Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit must, prior to 6 weeks of age, be physically marked using one of the following
methods:
(a) Removal of the hind toe from the right foot.
(b) Pinioning of a wing by removing the metacarpal bones of one wing or a portion of the metacarpal bones
thereby rendering the bird permanently incapable of flight.
(c) Banding of one metatarsus with a seamless metal band.
(d) Tattooing a readily discernible number or letter or combination thereof on the web of one foot.
Fact Sheet Page 1 of 2
3-200-9 11/2007
Fact Sheet Page 2 of 2
3-200-9 11/2007
4. What documentation is required when I transfer waterfowl to another person?
Each time you transfer waterfowl to another person, you will be required to complete a Form 3-186, Notice
of Waterfowl Sale or Transfer. These forms will be supplied by the Service with your permit and also are available
on our website at: http://forms.fws.gov/3-186.pdf. You must furnish the original of the form to the person acquiring
the birds or eggs, retain one copy in your files as a record of your transaction and mail two copies of each form
completed to your Regional Migratory Permit Office on or before the last day of each month.
5. Do I need a State permit in addition to a Federal permit to sell migratory waterfowl?
Your permit is not valid unless you also are in compliance with State requirements. This means that if your
State requires you to have a permit to sell or transfer migratory waterfowl, you must hold a valid State permit in
order for your Federal permit to be valid. It is your responsibility to make sure you comply with State permit
requirements.
6. Will anyone inspect my records or my waterfowl?
By accepting a Federal Waterfowl and Disposal permit, you authorize an agent of the Service to enter your
premises at any reasonable hour to inspect the wildlife you hold, your books and records. (See 50 CFR 13.47)
7. What is required to transfer my permit to a new location?
Any address change or other circumstances that affect your permit must be reported to your Regional
Migratory Bird Permit Office in writing within 10 days so your permit can be amended. (See 50 CFR 13.23)
8. Will I be required to keep records of my activities?
Yes. You must maintain accurate records of operations on a calendar-year basis. Your records should
reflect the species of waterfowl, total number at the start of the year, method of marking, number raised, sold or
traded, and the total number at the end of each year.
9. Will I be required to submit an annual report of activities?
Yes. You will receive an annual report form from your Regional Migratory Bird Permit Office. Reports
can also be found on our website at: http://www.fws.gov/permits/mbpermits/birdbasics.html. This report must be
completed and submitted to your issuing office by January 10 of each year.
10. How do I renew my permit?
A renewal letter or form and annual report form will be sent to you at least 60 days prior to the expiration
of your permit. If you want to renew your permit, you must return the completed renewal to your Regional
Migratory Bird Permit Office at least 30 days prior to the expiration of your permit and include a copy of your
current State permit, if one is required. If we receive your renewal request at least 30 days prior to the expiration of
your permit, your permit will remain valid beyond the expiration date for the activity authorized on your permit until
a decision on your renewal is made. If you allow your permit to expire before requesting renewal, you may be
required to submit a new application. (See 50 CFR 13.22 and 13.11(c))

Quote:
Ah the joys of falling in love with a rare breed! It's cool to know that there are people who breed them. I wonder if you need a permit.

YES YOU NEED A PERMIT

Lost my Barnacle Goose to some critter. I need one to keep my Gander happy. If anyone knows of a lone Barnacle Goose please contact me.

Back
Top Bottom