Anyone have experience with rat terriers for controlling rats?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi everyone, does anyone have experience with rat terriers to control or solve a rat infestation in the coop? There have been rats in my coop for about a year, and this summer they have turned aggressive and have killed and eaten several chicks and bunnies. I have tried traps and poison. They do catch some but don't solve the problem. The coop is a garage partition within a barn, with steel walls and a gravel and sand floor. The rats are burrowing in the hay buildup and sand under the goat pens which are adjacent to the chicken coop. I'd be willing to buy and care for another dog if this would solve the problem. Suggestions?

I know that guy, people get on his waiting list, he is that good.

But even Reed will tell you that you gotta fix the source of the problem, not just remove the rats. Do a forum search for Howard E. 's posts. Haven't seen him online in ages but he put up some of the best rodent control posts ever seen. The short version is a three step process.

Sanitation, which is bulk feed in metal cans with lids, treadle feeders, cleaning up all the avenues of approach that the rats use going between the feed and their burrows.

Exclusion, build a Fort Knox coop. Hardware cloth or metal, no wood, even concrete can be chewed through. Difficult and expensive.

Elimination, poison and traps. Expensive in the long term, never ending as new populations will move into a vacant territory. Dangerous to the natural predators that would be keeping the rodents in check but for the nice buffet you have put out for the vermin.

Do the first one, sanitation, and you don't need the other two steps.

Search for his posts, they are well worth the time to read.

I don't know about the rental services, which sound interesting... but about actually keeping a terrier.
My family used to breed Jack Russell terriers when I was growing up.
They're a dog you have to mesh with, personality wise. It can't be just about doing a job. They are too smart and determined to have their way. So maybe you would have a great relationship with one, some of us do, but most people expect something different from what these dogs actually offer.
They may choose to hunt chickens and bunnies rather than rats. When hunting they will be noisy and almost unstoppable (rats can hide in the structure, but any of your stuff is in danger). They may injure themselves but not give up the hunt so you can help them.

When cats hunt it's a more delicate process, and honestly that's what I'd recommend if your only goal is the rats.

Hi @Searsmom @Al Gerhart @SourRoses @aart thanks all for these insightful responses. What I got from these comments is, sanitation first (indeed, a farmer neighbor visited my coop over the weekend and said the hay buildup in the goat stall must be cleaned, that was inviting the rats to burrow), and, think twice about acquiring a new dog for a task that could be done through a rental service. I'm in the Midwest but will look into that option. Thanks!

Old timers use snakes, hawks, owls, weasels ,ferrets and minks as a natural means of rodent control on homesteads and farms (This method required everything to be in secure pens) Me I like to let my chickens out so I trained my hound.He isn't a guard dog only a pet but he is trained to sound alerts and will stay right there and bark until I respond to keep a predator at bay. I spent 2-3 yrs training him and kept my chickens up until he was trustworthy

Back
Top Bottom