anyone have luck moving a flock into a new coop?

kyflock

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
??

W'e have 5 right now... we've lost many due to predators this summer and we also didn't have a good hatch so in the spring we're planning on getting a huge new batch... But I think I want to switch the guineas we have now into a new coop... I will take the coop they are currently in and turn it into a tractor... So they won't have their old coop to go into...

Some nights they roost on the garage roof instead... and I'm wondering if there's any chance they'll "bond" to a new coop in a completely different location. I'd probably plan on getting them settled before the new ones are added... and probably leave them in for a while before letting them out. All the ones we have now have been in the same coop since pretty young chicks...

The only way to get them to go in at night to a new coop is to completely lock them in the coop, sometimes for a week or more. Make sure there is at least 4 sq ft per bird, preferably more, before you do this as they may fight. Once they have been in for a week, you can try free ranging again. Of course, you still may have to catch them and put them in the right place even after a week.

Back
Top Bottom