Anyone have problems w/ soggy feed?

redhawkou812

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Joelton, TN
Yesterday morning when I fed the peeps, their feed looked fine....no problems. When I went out last night with their treats, I was checking their feeder & found mold starting to grow around the top away from the feed. So I really got down in the feed & when I picked some up, I could literally squeeze it into a ball. I've handle enough feed to know how the density should feel, & this wasn't it. I pulled the feeder for the nite, cleaned it, & refilled it this morning. It's been very very very rainy around here for the past 2 months. I'm sure this was at least part of the problem. Everything is just waterlogged. We are currently using a plastic feeder. I know they attract moisture. Anyone have any issues like this that they've overcome? I'm going to probably go galv metal to help, but didn't know if there's anything else that could be done. Thanks.
hmm.png

Are you feeding crumbles or pellets? I saw the problem a little bit when I was feeding crumbles because of our high humidity in the summertime. Haven't had the problem with pellets.

Pellets. But the mold starting to build up in the top of the feeder leads me to believe that it maybe just got tooooo damp......everywhere. I don't believe we've had a full day's worth of sunshine in 2 months. And we're back in a hollow, in the woods, where it stalys pretty cool in the summer months anyway.

Quote:
I know the feeling. I thought it would never stop raining here. Never had the problem with my pellets though. I think your right, just got too moist.

Back
Top Bottom