Anyone heard of using Antezole for de-worming?

BuckarooBonzai

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2023
Hey! Long time reader, 1st time thread poster :)
So, I have a multi-pet household I'm looking for something to de-worm everyone simultaneously. I came across a de-wormer called Antezole that I can use for my dogs & cats. Was wondering if anyone's heard of it being used on chickens too, or just heard of it at all. The dosages can be broken down pretty small. Not much online about giving it to poultry but that often doesn't mean much. I think I saw it can be given to horses, pigs, & ppl too (lol). It's a paste that consists of Praziquantel, Pyrantel pamoate and Fenbendazole, all I --think-- are safe to give to chickens. I get nervous about these things. I have some Albendazole I can give my chicken, but a paste & giving them all the same thing would be nice conveniences. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

The albendazole paste that you have, can you show the label? Albendazole is the same as Valbazen, and a good wormer. The 3 ingredients in the Antezole are all used in chickens, but that product is for cats, so a dosage for a chicken is hard to guess. The problem is that when less common products are used, it makes it hard to recommend a dosage. The usual things most of us use are Valbazen or SafeGuard 10% liquid goat wormer. A water wormer is sometimes used for birds and chickens:

https://jedds.com/products/wormer-deluxe-powder-jedds

Hey, thanks & thanks for the tags.
Welcome To BYC

I have not heard of this medication. I didn't find any references for its use in poultry, but I'll tag in @dawg53 @coach723 @Eggcessive to see if they have any other info.

Personally I'd stick with Albendazole or Fenbenadazole for treating poultry.
Hey thanks & thanks for the tags. I know there are a lot of really experienced people here, but I couldn't remember any names off hand. I'm more curious than anything since they're in the same family of dewormers & like I mentioned above, convenience of a paste. I'm really surprised there's no online mentions of use in poultry. I know there are a lot of refences to Albendazole commonly used for dogs & cats, but it must be outside the US bc I also came across warnings it's in fact not commonly used in dogs/cats bc it can lead to, I want to say severe anemia or something along those lines.

The albendazole paste that you have, can you show the label? Albendazole is the same as Valbazen, and a good wormer. The 3 ingredients in the Antezole are all used in chickens, but that product is for cats, so a dosage for a chicken is hard to guess. The problem is that when less common products are used, it makes it hard to recommend a dosage. The usual things most of us use are Valbazen or SafeGuard 10% liquid goat wormer. A water wormer is sometimes used for birds and chickens:

https://jedds.com/products/wormer-deluxe-powder-jedds
It's the brand Valbazen (oral suspension). Good point on dosages. I was really hoping to try a paste. I tried the Valbazen awhile back on a flock & it did not go over well to the point I pretty quickly gave up. This'll be different bc it's just one chicken. Now I have to go look up egg withdrawal.

Edit: Saw some of your guys' info on withdrawals right away. Glad to hear it's one of those that seems a lot of ppl feel fine to eat the eggs anyway if they choose to. I did see the studies on oral administrations of the albendazole (& the antazole too, just as a fun fact) in humans & I'd agree, the amount would be so little, can't imagine it having an effect.

Last edited:
Liquid wormers are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and more effective than the slow absorption of pastes.
I'm curious as to why you gave up using the Valbazen? Valbazen is one of the best wormers on the market.
See post #4 in this link on how to worm a chicken orally using a syringe without a needle:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worms-in-chicken-poop.1575508/#post-26765991
I had too many chickens to do by myself, they apparently hate the taste of it, & I worried about being too impatient doing that many and aspirating one. I tried the diff times (morning vs night) perching. I tried a technique of putting the Valbazen in bread & feeding it to them (that's how I learned how much they hate the taste LOL). I did recently read on here a suggestion if you're doing a large flock or a flock by yourself to do it by breed & breaking it down that way vs all at once. That never occurred to me & would have made it a lot more manageable for me. I've syringed chickens before. I just was hoping to use the same on all my animals & I'm guessing it's going to be a lot easier to trick my chicken into eating a paste or even hiding it in food than syringing her, but to use the Alabazen I have left on hand (a lot🤦‍♀️) is nbd.

Edit: I just saw that was your advice I just refenced. 😆 It's a great idea! I did forget about having to pre-load a bunch or syringes though. That sounds like such a nightmare.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom