Anyone help me with little call ducks leg problem?

Crazy4cochins

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
NW MO
I have a tiny little duckling that walk weird, Its small and can't keep balance ,it looks like on leg goes out to the side(left) and the right stays underneath.
Today it wanted to get in the pool with the other and I let it and she about drown!!! New to duck and I don't know maybe I should give it to someone who can fix it's leg.
Its alot smaller than my runner and pekin ducklings , do little call ducks take a long time to develop??

I'm not sure what to do...can you somehow post a video? I'm thinking maybe it's something like when chicks have splay leg, and they have to hobble the legs together to keep the leg from sliding out from under the chick? What kind of surface is it being kept on (in the brooder)?

it's on newspaper, that is over doggy pee pads, sometimes when I clean the cage he is on straw.
even when I put him on our wood floors he walsk weird.
I thought of splay leg, I have a chicken hurt her leg once but I tried to splint it and she never got better so she had to be put down
sad.png

I will try to post a video later gotta go dig up flowers first.
Thanks for reponding, I just think it's sad. He eats and drinks just fine, ohh yaeh and he always gets knocked over and its hard for to to flip but that may be becasue of his shape. His pic is on the other post (husband finally said yes!) you can see him, I am asking what kind he is.
thanks

Quote:
Ducklings should never be kept on newspaper, same with chicks. That is what is causing his leg problems. Get him off of that asap. You might have to sort of tie his legs together so they go back to normal. For now, put him on an old towel. It will let him get his grip.

Last edited:
I was told on here to use newspaper. why newspaper is bad? The other act just fine and I change the bedding 2 times a day so they don't chew on it or anything.
I used straw but it was worse for him.
I know all about chicks, I use the bedding junk for them.
thats what the ducks started out on but I changed it because they were trying to eat it...
So tying one leg to the other will straighten it out?
Thanks

we like to use towels or the rubber shelf liner..... gives the ducklings more traction than paper towels.
you could also make a brooder like the one pictured with an elevated hardware cloth floor to keep the ducklings dry. Just take outside and clean at the waterhose and lay fresh newspaper in the bottom under the hardware cloth. I like to put a piece of rubber shelf liner where the light is so the ducklings can get off the wire until they get use to it.

21841_brooders_and_housing_006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom