Anyone in cold climate using Bioshelters?

That is pretty good - I'm curious to see what your compost will do now. -22 is pretty much the lowest we get where I am. What temperature do plants generally need to stay active in winter?

Oh, good question :)

I think it is related to the root system.
I saw a website earlier explaining the depth the soil freezes in winter, depending on our area. Seems that near Montreal, where I am, it freezes around 15cm deep (or was it inches? I need to find that again).

Anyhow, imagine the frost depth is maximum 10 inches. I guess a plant would survive if the roots were deeper than 10 inches.

But there is more to it.. seems like some plants die when the foliage freezes, others don't. In the book, he says that the veggies are all white and frosted in the morning, they break if he touches the leaves. Then the sun touches the greenhouse, the veggies unfreeze and go back to life!

He gives a good list of things that don't die when they freeze, here are some:
watercress
mâche
radishes
spinach (I believe it, it froze 3 times up to now and my spinach is still beautiful)
leeks
carrots (he has a special winter variety, says it is sweet and taste better than summer variety)
Many different lettuces (at my house also, it froze and they are still looking good)

I think this weekend (if I can find the time) I'm going to try and build a small greenhouse for the winter (maybe 6'x4'). Unfortunately I won't be able to use compost as a heat source, as I'm going to put it in the front of the house, but I do have a small space heater with a thermostat that I can put in there. If I really insulate it and make a small enough space, hopefully it won't cost me too much

It seems that you don't get a lot of feedback on this forum if it's not regarding birds (which makes sense as it's a chicken forum), but I must say I'm really glad I came across this thread as it's put a whole pile of ideas in my head for next spring - the missus might try to kill me though -LOL.

Hehe glad I found you a new project ;)

Keep us (me..) posted with your findings! I am also building a little greenhouse test system. I planted a few things 2 days ago, and planted the same inside my house (I have a little room just for seedlings, with fluorescent lights). This way I can compare both growing processes.

The guy from my book is in Main, we should be able to achieve something similar to him. Well.. you are a lot further than I am, I guess you are getting even colder winters. Good idea for the heater ;)

Note: for the plastic on the greenhouse, he says that the plastic coated with the anti-drip protection is best. The reason is that the water will condense on the plastic and at night, will reflect down the heat to the plants. Ingenious.

A lot of his work is based on nature's principals, which I find very interesting!!

Trent, still here? :)

It has gone way below freezing here. We had a few inches of snow for a week or 10 days, something like that.
BUT, things are still growing in the little greenhouse. The most prolific is radicchio. It doesn't seem to care that it is winter. One of them was cut to the ground in october and is starting to grow again.

I will post pictures this weekend. But, it is a definitive YES, it is working. I have already planned the spring crop for the greenhouse. I plan to sow on march 10th, which is 9 weeks BEFORE my last frost date. Can't wait!! I have to start growing indoors starting january 20th for the march planting.

Fun stuff starts early this year :)

EDIT: Last weekend I harvested some carrots, beets and turnips from the garden. The soil was so frozen that I needed a shovel to break the first layer of soil and get the veggies out. The soil in the greenhouse was all fluffy, warm and un-frozen, I could put my hands in it just like in the middle of summer. That was pretty amazing.

Last edited:
@Sabz - would you post a picture of your greenhouse? please, pretty please?
I am going to be building one next year and I am looking for inspiration.
What all are you growing in it?

Sorry Wio, didn't see your first post!

I don't have a pic of the greenhouse at work. I'll post later or tomorrow. It is super basic. I found some windows and used one window for the front of the greenhouse and another for the top. I used some plastic for the back of the greenhouse so I can easily lift it to access the food.

GPS coordinates are similar to 45.5000° N, 73.5667° W (Montreal).

No lighting. But I won't be able to grow all winter. I will reply back with more details :)

Curious to know how the green house is doing Sabz. I know I don't have the same problems with cold that you all have but I am hoping to be able to run a garden all year long starting next spring and am using you all as an information base for heating.

RichnSteph

Back
Top Bottom