Anyone in WV???

Question for you all. This isn't chicken related and I normally don't bring this stuff to random Internet folk but we're stuck. Looking for a lawyer that knows animal law in WV. My sister's dog went missing, she notified shelter and shelter adopted her dog or anyways. From my understanding they failed to hold her the 5 days required by state law, but they're trying to brush the whole thing under the rug by just ignoring her calls, and creating a blame game guilt trip for the dog getting loose in the first place. The county Council members she's called are also not bothering to call back. Anyone have a suggestion for a good lawyer or the next step?

Question for you all. This isn't chicken related and I normally don't bring this stuff to random Internet folk but we're stuck. Looking for a lawyer that knows animal law in WV. My sister's dog went missing, she notified shelter and shelter adopted her dog or anyways. From my understanding they failed to hold her the 5 days required by state law, but they're trying to brush the whole thing under the rug by just ignoring her calls, and creating a blame game guilt trip for the dog getting loose in the first place. The county Council members she's called are also not bothering to call back. Anyone have a suggestion for a good lawyer or the next step?

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuswvst19_9_1_19_20A_8.htm#s19_20_6
Good list of WV code. It sounds like they may not have given due notice, I'd start by checking the county courthouse to see if a notice was placed for her dog.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuswvst19_9_1_19_20A_8.htm#s19_20_6
Good list of WV code. It sounds like they may not have given due notice, I'd start by checking the county courthouse to see if a notice was placed for her dog.

They use Petfinder and Facebook to post their listings, but the problem is that when the dogs are posted, they're up for adoption. I'll mention it to her but it's been over a month of back and forth and they've given no indication they put listings anywhere but online.

Thanks for the link, that's how we know it's state law, not just policy, to hold for 5 days. It also says the warden (or contractor acting in that position) shall contact the known owner. I don't think they've any sort of method to check, they had very quality photos but said repeatedly they didn't have her... the same day she came in, in fact, and several times after. So they had knowledge of the owner. It's just been a big mess and there's been no sort of accountability and little effort on their end. My sis raised that dog since she was 6 weeks old, and its sad that all it takes is a quick distraction and a lazy shelter staff to lose a family member like that.

Good morning!
I'm totally new to backyard chickens! I've got a lot of great info from here and just joined. Were in the middle of WV and are new to raising chickens. Sadly, my husband woke this morning to our 3 chickens dead on the creek bank. :(. Something tore the bottom of the nesting box out. We think a coon or even coyote as both have been seen in our yard before. We ordered our chickens from a local southern states when they had pullets. Does anybody know where we can get laying hens locally? We're going to pick up the traders guide later today to check it. Our little girl will be so upset that her chickees are gone. :(. Thanks!
Megan

Back
Top Bottom