Anyone in WV???

I'm
Hi everyone!I'm new here and wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I've had a backyard mutt flock for most of my life and have recently decided to start focusing on actual breeds. I'm starting with a trio of BLRW and a pair of mottled orps with a lavender cuckoo hen. I have some buff brahma bantam babies and some sultan (bantam)babies that I can't wait to see grow up. I'd love to add more English Orps to my yard pretties but as I'm sure most of you know, they're hard to find in the middle of no where..lol.
I live in Harrison County and am a big book nerd and other than books and the farm, I'm a pretty boring person. Looking forward to going back through the thread and "meeting" every one
I'm in Harrison County too.

Welcome :) I am in Greenbrier Co. Grew up in Marshall County currently waiting for my chicks that are due to arrive the second week in April. Can hardly wait. my current flock are laying most days at least 2 to 3 eggs for me but are older hens.
My grandmother was raised and lived in Pocahontas Co, and lived there until my grandpa died in the flood of '85 and then she moved to Harrison Co. I just had 16 babies sent from Meyer 2 days ago (5 rare breed assort and 10 "Leanns Bargain Bin) on the hopes that I would get a jubilee Orp..lol.. Im sure none of them are but a few look close and it will be fun to wait and see what they are. I know 2 are SL Sebrights but zero clue on the rest.

Quote:welcome!!

I have a flock of chocolate English orps. A black split roo and a mauve roo, over chocolate, black and mauve hens. Have a broody sitting on 15 eggs, due next weekend. I hatched some a few weeks ago, but already sold the chicks. Might do another set of them in the near future.
smile.png

Uh oh... just what I need.. a nearby enabler.. Guess its a good thing that youre not too close..lol.. Would you ship eggs? I dont get out a whole lot and Im sure it would be a lot more risky than getting them in person but dont know if thats feasible for me. The chocolates are absolutely stunning. I have been stalking the Eng Orp thread and there have been a few pics of chocolates postly recently and I just sit and drool over them..lol. I did finally get my breeding pen squared away yesterday, now just need to decide if I am putting the Orps in it and letting the BLRW roam or the opposite. Its plenty big enough for a trio, but I am worried about big butt roo squeezing his massive @$$ thru the doors and up the ramp :/

Quote:I just started this year. We have RIR, BR, Wyandotte, and EE. If I can't figure out arrangements I may have to get rid of some lol

I have a trio of BLR Wyandottes and pretty sure some production RIR in some chicks "I just had to have" from TSC. What do you mean by arrangements? Just running out of coop space or are you in city limits with a limit on the # you can keep? If you have extras you dont want, the Tractor Supply on Bridgeport hill has a swap once a month. I think that it is on the 1st saturday but youd have to call them to confirm that. Would be a good way to get rid of extras and put $ in your pocket for your keepers :) ETA I have the sweetest quad of BR babies in the TSC group and one of the chicks I got from Meyer is an EE for sure. I never thought I would like BR, but these babies are SO very sweet. They are outside now, but they would fly out of their brooder inside and hunt me down wherever I was in the house to beg for treats..and of course they got them <3

Last edited:
@LuvnEnglishOrps Our coop that we bought from TSC was said to hold 8 to 10 chickens. Well, now that it is built and the box says 8, we're second guessing if we need more room for our 12. I was only supposed to get 10 lol. I may do the TSC trade at some point. My 7yo would kill me if I got rid of the EE. Our RIR have our friendliest, so she's not going anywhere. The rest are iffy. I also have a runt that gets picked on. Not sure if she'll make it in the long run. Our Wyandottes are silver laced. I have 7 acres, about 3 or 4 which is flat, so I'm not worried about space outside...just the coop. We were trying to decide if we wanted to buy amother of the same size coop and connect them.

Do you have any old kids playhouses or dog kennels? Those coops are flimsy and it most likely wont last more than a couple of years. I have a friend down the road that bought one last spring and that wind that we had a couple weeks ago? Left his in about 6 pieces (thankfully, well not thankfully but he had lost his birds last year to a predator so there was nothing in it). I think they are super for raising babies but they scare me when it comes to being protected from predators. But those plastic kids houses make great coops. I am going to PM you a ladies name that is on FB, her BIL makes amazing coops and shes located out past Bridgeport. You could get one the same size or bigger for half the cost and it will last you years and years.

Do you have any old kids playhouses or dog kennels? Those coops are flimsy and it most likely wont last more than a couple of years. I have a friend down the road that bought one last spring and that wind that we had a couple weeks ago? Left his in about 6 pieces (thankfully, well not thankfully but he had lost his birds last year to a predator so there was nothing in it). I think they are super for raising babies but they scare me when it comes to being protected from predators. But those plastic kids houses make great coops. I am going to PM you a ladies name that is on FB, her BIL makes amazing coops and shes located out past Bridgeport. You could get one the same size or bigger for half the cost and it will last you years and years. 

I don't have any old ones. We are tearing down an old barn on the property and are going to utilize a portion of it that is still stable. I will also have the old Barnwood to build with when I'm done.

Quote: Oh thatd be perfect. Im a huge 'collector' (i.e. hoarder ) of pallets and old wood. You never know when it will come in handy and with old barn wood you can build a gorgeous coop. These books would be awesome for you. Theres also a ton of plans on here, somewhere in the beginning of the thread on English Orpingtons, the OP shares a link where her husband built her a coop (and an amazing fence) that is 110% what I want my next coop to look like (except colors..) and the fence.. well I cant put that into words but if you can find the link youll understand. I am pretty sure its within the first 10-15 pages

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom