Anyone in WV???

Pics
Tuffoldhen,
Thanks for the invite to this thread. I am still working on my page and profile and will figure it out eventually.
I live between Martinsburg and Berkely Springs on Rt. 9 in the Eastern Panhandle of West By God Virginia!
I retired here from NJ 4 years ago. I have owned the property for about 20 years. As far as predators I am fighting the same
battles as y'all. I am surrounded by 23,900 acres where no one can build. Foxes, bobcats, coyotes, stray cats, bears you name it.
I discovered two years ago that rubber bullets out of a 12gauge shot gun discourages the bears quite well. Barbed wire around the enclosed pen and coop also work well. Time will tell if I can keep enjoying my brown eggs for breakfast!!!

Hey, neighbor! Over here in Pendleton County.
frow.gif

Hey West Virginians, our Maryland swap is really blossoming into a big ta-doo and I'd love it if some of you can come.. even if it's just to hand in our BYC VIP lounge
lol.png
We have several sellers driving up the day before to camp and quite a few buyers camping as well. Our farm is adjacent to the Antietam Battlefield in Sharpsburg and there will be plenty for the kids to see and do; moon bounce, pony rides, straw maze. We'll have food & drink vendors and admission to come and hang is FREE. If you'd like to set up shop and sell ANYTHING farm related; flowers, planters, gardening stuff, tools, riding tack, canned foods, baked goods, bunnies, goats, chickens, etc. the price is just 8 bucks for a space which can be as large or as small as you'd need. Bring your own tables/chairs/canopies or just tailgate.

We advertise heavily to the public and we do an awesome business. We call it "Chicken Mayhem" for the first 2 hours until things slow down a bit.

Here's our website http://mdpoultryswap.blogspot.com/

and
here's our thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=492984

and
... Here's THE LIST of what's coming so far. Im getting calls every day and more just show up and sell and never call so.. who knows what you'll find
frow.gif

black rosecombs
welsummers and hatching eggs
delawares and hatching eggs
royal palm turkey poults
jumbo coturnix quail chicks and hatching eggs
bantam cochins
white leghorn pullets
cart coop
yard tractor coop
silkie chicks (exhibition lines)
Polish (exhibition lines)
dutch (exhibition lines)
australorp chicks
1-2 mottled Java roo chick(s)
EE roo
1-2 white (hatchery) Silkie
More silkies from breeder in southern MD
wire cages for rabbits or bantams
Red Bourbon Turkey a
rhode island red
More silkies and polish!
8 Large Fowl Partridge Wyandotte chicks from Mr.Urch that are for sale.
List of what I will have is:
Lemon Blue Cochins Large Fowl (LF)
Dominique LF
Blue wheaten Marans LF
New Hampshire Reds LF
Blue Wyandottes LF
Partridge Wyandottes LF
Guineas mix of colors(White, Pied,Pearl,Lav,Royal Purple)
Turkeys ~ Blue Slate (few), Silver Penciled Palms, Burbon Reds,
Black Spanish,Narragansett
Citron Hamburg Bantams (few)
Buff Wyandotte (1) LF
May have SLW (1) LF
Extra roosters:
Blue Wheaten Marans(Davis line)
1~ Wheaten Marans (Cree line)
May have 1 extra roo from my AM/EE/OEL pen.
6 tray hatcher GQF
call ducklings and/or eggs (blue fawn pied and butterscotch)
English riding tack, some plants (cottage style type stuff, lambs ears & daisies & the like)
Runner Ducklings both crested and non-crested.
large fowl blue/black/splash Cochins
large fowl blue/black/splash Orpingtons
LF buff cochins (show quality)
black cochin bantams (show quality)
local honey products
horse tack
old crocks
wire cages (used for rabbits)
farm fresh eating eggs
Silkies, from chicks up to 4-6 weeks old in several colors
ShowGirls
heritage rhode island reds (the dark reds)
Black Australorp
Buff Orpingtons
Easter Eggers (blue/green egg layers)
Bantam black cochin
Light Brahma
Sulkie (the cutest little Silkie x Sultan babies) & some OEGB
Chick waterers & large waterers
iris and daylillies
strawberry plants, grapevines
mint,grapes,sage,salvia,beans,sunflowers,catnip,
pigeons,ducklings
MORE SILKIES
Rhode Island Red pullets
white rock pullets
white crested b/b/s polish straight run.
naked necks 4 hens and 1 roo that are 9 months old
a few extra roos.
welsummer chicks
guinea keets
more silkies 4 weeks to 6 weeks old in blue,black,and project blue partridge
exhibition standard buff leghorns 6 week olds
call ducks, mixed ducks
geese
red and golden pheasant
mixed turkey poults (royal palm and easterns)
‎2 Nigerian Dwarf (2 month old boys) and 2 or 3 Mini Nubian does

Quote:
I'm going to be there, only thing I can bring would be hatching eggs from the 50% to 75% english and the english roo over the standard orp girls if anyone is interested. Not sure newly hatched chicks would make an overnight trip in good shape!!

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself to everyone in the WV thread! I'm a Detroit gal living in WV's northern panhandle. Based on the group map, I'm the only one up here! No chickens yet—it's illegal here in our little city unless you have a very large lot (something very, very few people have in the city...postwar construction, you know)—but I'd very much like to change that one way or the other.

At any rate...hello, Mountaineers!
yippiechickie.gif

Hello, all west virginia peeps : )

I am moving into western MD for college (Frostburg MD/keyser WV area) in less than a month. Over the past 2 yrs of having chickens, i have spoiled myself on fresh eggs and do not look foward to eatting store bought again. By the same token, i like helping out local farmers and would be willing to pay more for fresh eggs, milk, etc...Is anyone on here local to that area that i could buy from?

I would post something on craigslist but craigslist is very scary... you never know what weirdos that may bring.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Hello fellow West Virginians! I havent been on here for a while but am w
ondering if anyone close to the Morgantown or Preston Co. area has any hens for sale? I need a few laying hens for the coop....

Back
Top Bottom