Anyone know how this chick will turn out??

audreymarie

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Hi guys! I recently hatched my first chick ever, already on my way to more but sadly this was the lone survivor. I’m posting a picture of the two chickens that made this little one and was hoping someone could tell me what he/she could possibly turn out looking like??

Attachments

• 22ED02DA-98FF-4A79-9271-08D7FAE12829.jpeg
    22ED02DA-98FF-4A79-9271-08D7FAE12829.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 6
  • AFF43B27-DEA0-4BB4-9851-AFE67A5CE70F.jpeg
    AFF43B27-DEA0-4BB4-9851-AFE67A5CE70F.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 96B02AD2-C8FF-4274-AE85-4B0D567862E4.jpeg
    96B02AD2-C8FF-4274-AE85-4B0D567862E4.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 34492E41-10A9-45DC-8647-2BBA9BFF5C9B.jpeg
    34492E41-10A9-45DC-8647-2BBA9BFF5C9B.jpeg
    1,022.3 KB · Views: 9
You've got a lot of mixed genetics going into this little one, so there is no certainty, as both parents are mix breeds from their looks (EE's?).

Its down color indicates a wild type to turn into a partridge type like momma...possibly more red enhancing ground color (likely from poppa)....depending upon how dominant poppa's white is...I also noticed poppa is laced, so you'll likely get some incomplete lacing showing too.

Momma and Poppa seem to have some columbian expression at the dark tail, so likely incomplete columbian.

You'll likely get a red-brown bird, with white bleed through, mostly a lot like momma would be my guess....but that depends on what may be hidden under poppa's white. So its anybody's guess. (The joy of hybrids.)

Dad seems to have a bit of an odd comb...likely modified pea? It almost looks a bit crownish but I think it is generally pea comb maybe modified with some rose comb? But I also see muffs, so pea comb modified most likely. (Really hard to see in photo) Momma a pea comb? She too has muffs of the EE.

The comb will be pea of some sort, possibly a bit odder from dad's comb....a bit of odd shaping as happens with hybrid combs.

With both parents muffed, chances are there will be a muff on this one as well. And I should think slate legs too from the parents, but note the chick has lighter leg color at present, but that could change. I get odd colors on legs when I don't expect it too.

Those are pure guesses as hybrids don't breed true in any major way unless there are dominant colors.

Last edited:
Looking at the chick down...the photos change color, so it is hard to distinguish what the down really is like.

Yellow down generally indicates white to come. Gold-red down indicates red or brown to come.

So possibly Poppa's overall white...with red bleed through.

Looking at the chick down...the photos change color, so it is hard to distinguish what the down really is like.

Yellow down generally indicates white to come. Gold-red down indicates red or brown to come.

Thank you so much for your unbelievably knowledgeable response. I so appreciate It! They were both bought has easter Eggers and while the hen has a true pea comb i have always thought that the rooster (his name is Elton) has a pea/rose comb for sure.

Back
Top Bottom