Anyone know how to help sore goat hooves?

ChickenMom04

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
My goat Calvin has been experiencing issues with his front hooves for ages. A few months ago we had a vet come check him out and they gave him antibiotics for a UTI (UTI may have caused some of the walking issues before, but it’s cleared up now) and said his hoof soreness was something that couldn’t be fixed permanently, and that it would fluctuate with different conditions day to day. When he has a bad day we’ve been giving him aspirin and it temporarily helps him out. Lately with the cold and wet weather he’s been having worse issues than usual and doesn’t enjoy walking around with the others. He’ll often stand in a corner with his head down and one of his front hooves straight out; then he’ll alternate. I don’t know how else to help him. Are there any other ways we can relive his pain more permanently? His hooves are properly trimmed and he has plenty of padding in his pen.

EDIT: he’s only 4 years old and pain is not due to old age

Is the vet sure it's his hooves that are sore and not his joints? Any delaminating of the hooves? Where in general are you located and what is your climate?

Is the vet sure it's his hooves that are sore and not his joints? Any delaminating of the hooves? Where in general are you located and what is your climate?
He was sure it wasn’t the joint. He said the location of the issue was within the pads, not bones or joints. The actual hoof looks normal, which is why it was such a mystery to us at the beginning. I’m up north in the US, so the temps have ranged from 6F to about 25F. They have both indoor and outdoor space.

We were advised by the vet to stop feeding them pellets, so they’re being fed hay now.
What kind of hay? And does he have access to loose mineral specifically made for goats at all times?
Hope Calvin recovers! Goats seem to be prone to these mystery problems, at least in this climate - that's why I don't keep them anymore!

Pictures would help. It could be laminitis (founder) or it could be something in the leg itself. Often goats with sore feet walk on their knees. The fact that he is not walking on his knees makes me suspect that the problem is not in the feet themselves. If it were my goat, I would give him a shot of BoSe. BoSe is used to treat white muscle (selenium deficiency). White muscle causes muscle pain among other things. I really don't think white muscle is the problem here but it could be. The BoSe can't hurt and if white muscle is the problem the goat will improve in a few days. It is worth a shot. It may help and it certainly won't hurt. If nothing happens after the BoSe you will have checked off something else it isn't.

What kind of hay? And does he have access to loose mineral specifically made for goats at all times?
Hope Calvin recovers! Goats seem to be prone to these mystery problems, at least in this climate - that's why I don't keep them anymore!
All goats have access to mineral recommended by the vet as well as alfalfa/clover hay blend.

I wonder if the alfalfa's the problem. @cassie What do you think?
I seriously doubt it. My goats were fed almost exclusively on alfalfa. So were the goats of my neighboring dairyman. Not seeing the goat, I can't give a really accurate assessment, but goats with sore feet usually walk on their knees. As I said before I would give a shot of BeSe and then see what happens. The problem could be in the leg, the tendons, the joints, or even the shoulder. I have no idea what else to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom