anyone know how to sex a EE??

oldmcdonald56

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
I have an EE that is about 5 weeks old. He/she does not have a beard, that was the only thing I was told to look for. Any thing else I should look for?

The only thing I know to watch for is the developement of their tails. The hens usually do this faster than the males. Oh also their legs tend to get bigger faster. But not always. It is according to the mix that gave the EE. Gloria Jean

The beard won't matter. The comb can give you a clue sometimes. I was able to tell by their comb, and tail. My males tail looked completely different then the girls. His comb was also WAY redder then theirs, even at 5 weeks.

Other than that, you'll just have to wait and see. EE are tricky. Sometimes you'll have one that looks like a boy then turns out to be a girl, vice versa.

Bluemoon

EEs and Ameraucanas are difficult to sex. Both males and females can have beards and/or muffs, so that won't help.
hmm.png

The males will usually start getting a wider, redder comb. Often they will have heavier, thicker legs. It may take up to 7 weeks--they can really fool you. Ask me! I changed my mind about 3 times this spring while deciding on the sex of my EE pullet.
tongue.png
(And I've raised up a lot of EEs and Ameraucanas).

If you want further help, try posting a pic. There are lots of folks on here who enjoy venturing an educated guess.

Good luck! I hope you get what you are hoping for.... a pullet?

Back
Top Bottom