Anyone know what breed this is???

see now I guessed it would have been a hen, how do you tell?
roll.png

The shiny "wet" looking feathers are a dead give away. I always look for pointy wet looking feathers first, then to the comb, and lastly spurs. (I have had some hens with spurs) that is why i go for it last. But only roosters will have those super shiny feathers.
smile.png

My EE Roo doesn't have spurs at all...so that doesn't help much.
I found it difficult to tell the sex on any too. I have one with a bigger comb and she is laying now...
The best advice so far is...
The shiny "wet" looking feathers are a dead give away.

just wait and see on your other one, I guess.
Good luck!​

Oh yeah, I was going to say pullet till that last pic. I'd say a roo now that I see his hackles.

Look at this diagram https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-anatomy.html

roosters
have longer pointier feathers around the neck area called 'hackles', I think it's for both showing off for the ladies, AND for protection if they get in a fight. Hens have shorter 'cape' feathers in the same area. Also the tail feathers often get longer and fancier on males, but EEs don't always get the sickle feathers like other breeds, at least not nearly as pronounced.

OK how about this little girl, name that chicken. I was told a banty when I bought her from a farm auction, she was only two days old, now she is 2 years old, and her head and neck are all pin feathers I think the roo has been peckin at her.
42887_banty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom